Main Monitor Kit

Alex W

Are there manufacturers who produce kits suitable for use as main rather than near-field monitors? I've run across some sub-$3,000 deals on used main monitors (passive) that would work for my ~ 400 sq. ft. studio, but I'm curious if I could do better building my own, as I've seen recommended for the near-fields.

Just trying to identify my options.

Alex

alex why would you want mains? are you wanting to impress clients with a finnished mixed cd cause that is all there used for in the big studios we mix 90% of the time with good near feild moniters

To come perfectly correct, I was at a pro-studio up in Burbank a couple of weeks back tracking drums with my band. When the recording was finished we were sitting in the control room and the engineer brought the rough mix up on a couple of soffit mounted dual 15-in main monitors with ribbon tweeters that just blew me away. The sound was awesome. I'm just looking to install something that might be half-ass comparable.

Please, no heckling.

Alex

Yep. I've got a pair of Roland passive DS90's that I run through a Samson servo amp. I'm no pro, so this set up serves me well for now. I haven't had a very good room to mix in up until now but I should be completing my studio in couple of weeks. I plan to do all my mixing through the near-fields, but it would just be nice to crank it up every so often, or listen to finished songs that I think are ready to burn to CD.

Alex

ahh ok alex that helps id actully recomend good house speakers on stands or mounted to the wall not only could you use them to crank the mix but best off all a/b the mix to a diffrent set of speakers to see how well it translates

Back