Magix audio 2005 problem

colin.merrey

Hi there I am having a recording problem with this software. When I try to record a 2nd track it also records the first track into the 2nd track. What am I doing wrong?

Hi Colin,

I think we'll need a bit more info than that but, on first impressions, it sounds like maybe your computer/daw is set to record whatever you hear.

You'd want to make sure it's set to record from the microphone input only, if that's what you're using.

Tell us a bit more about your input gear (mic?interface?onboard soundcard?) and how you have things set up. :)

magix audio studio 2005 problem

Hi There

I amusing the microphone input and a Behringer 1202 mixer to control the input source. I have a Soundblaster card that I also use. This doesn't appear to be set to what u hear - that box isn't ticked when I check the volume etc in Magix.

It was working ok before BUT now doesn't seem to be.

I have input an audio track into track 1 and am trying to record something else as a parallel on track2 - but all iget is Track 1 - this replaces everything in track 2

I get an input signal in the track and in the mixer but whatever I play into the second track doesn't record - it only re-records Track1 onto Track 2. I am at a loss and would appreciate your feedback.

Colin

That is a mixer thing. Start with everything hard panned left for TR 1 and hard panned right for TR 2

More than likely its because the mixer is sending the already-recorded track into it's main output. Time to upgrade to some current equipment and software. A proper audio interface is the first thing.

..."mixer is sending the already-recorded track into it's main output"

That is a primary goal of a mixer

+1.

Unfortunately your 1202 isn't really the tool for the job.
There are possible janky workarounds but really the simpler solution is going to be to jump ship to a modest audio interface.

The primary differences are that with an audio interface you'd be able to hear audio back from the computer without re-recording it down every time,
and that each hardware input would be seen as a unique path by the computer.

That means, for example, you could record a stereo miked guitar and vocal performance in one go, with reference to a backing track in your headphones, and end up with backing, guitar left, guitar right, and vocal as completely separate tracks in your software.

Hope that's useful. :)

Thanks for that

I did try something else to see if it was the mixer - tried to record track 2 while monitoring track 1 - with no additional signal input to track to at all - still got track 1 on track 2. Should have been a blank track 2 - sounds daft but that's what happened

In the meantime will investigate an audio interface - or might try uninstalling and reinstalling the program - as I said - it used to work ok

If you are in Windows, try left clicking on the recording devices pane and select show all, to be sure what Windows is working with.

You can monitor at the computer headphone jack and not send anything to the mixer

I neglected to state that the mixer is on the microphone input only to the SOundblaster soundcard and has no input from the computer at all

Does this help you when looking at my problem?

Well that does change things! Then it would seem your SB is sending the prerecorded track back , so look at those Windows audio settings.

I neglected to state that the mixer is on the microphone input only to the SOundblaster soundcard and has no input from the computer at all

Does this help you when looking at my problem?

I would still like to know that you have the channels panned left and right

Thank you all for your help. It was the setting in the sound card that for some reason had reset itself to what you hear.

Much obliged to you all.

Just saw the last post, but here is what I wrote before I saw it . . .
Well, maybe, but if it worked before, it should work now, no? There's a window when you right click on the track box header (where the name of the track is) in the arranger. In that window, it will have, at the top, "record" and "playback". In "record," it should say "Soundblaster" or something close to that.
That's where you select the input. At any rate, I would get a decent sound-card--they're cheap and all over Ebay. You're using the exact setup I started on--12 years ago! Stick with the Music Studio for now, but at your first opportunity go up to Samplitude 11, or Sam ProX, or even better, ProX 3 Suite. The Pro X Suites aint cheap, but the musical possibilities are vast . . . . You absolutely want a different sound card though, ASAP. Get that now, and then the better version(s) of Samplitude. Also, you won't need the mixer, unless you want to use it for monitoring.

Back