Magic Carpet Ride

Dude...cool intro. I wasn't sure what direction it was heading, then it actually went into a more clean version than I thought it would. Nice sounds. Those vox fit perfectly with the sound of the music. They have some sounds of the era...the whole tune is done kind of like that. Nice bass sound.

Cool tune man....

I like the political tune also. Kind of sparse, and angsty.... :D Sort of reminds me of Iggy Pop. Cool again...

Thanks for listening and also for your comments Dogman. The bass is a Jackson Pro on the "precision" pickups, DI'd through a Beri ADA8000 8 channel pre and lighpiped to my Alesis HD24. The vocal mic is a MXL V67 (thanks for the tip Harvey!)

The Iraq tune was lots of fun. The guitar sound on that is a strat into a Boss Heavy Metal pedal into a late 50s Gibson GA6 amp mic'd with a 57.

systmovadown said:
that sounds awesome
would u recommend the vl?

The mic MXL V67? No doubt. I have a Rode NT1 which is very "toppy" and this MXL V67 which is way "warmer" ala mids and lows. I think of them like salt and pepper, or light and dark tones. The NT1 for example was used on the acoustic guitar part to bring out the "ringy" strumming sound.

I saw System of a Down on SNL some months back and they were very impressive. I especially liked how they would go from whisper quiet yet intense to a full roar. Excellant dynamics! Thanks for taking the time to listen.

Sounds very good. Wasnt quite crazy about the intro, the rest is very good. Hard song to cover, its one of a kind but you do a very nice job with it. :cool:

Havent got to the political one yet...........................

DavidK said:
Sounds very good. Wasnt quite crazy about the intro, the rest is very good. Hard song to cover, its one of a kind but you do a very nice job with it. :cool:

Havent got to the political one yet...........................

Thanks lots David. I also feel the intro is the weak link. Best wishes for your good health.

The intro is interesting... I guess like it or not it's real short anyway :)
nice acoustic sound. Overall has kind of a live feel. Awesome man, I dig this. Nice hearing the organ in there too.
Nice work :D

The political tune is cool, I think since the main idea there is the message you should bring up the vocals some more. I'm having a little trouble hearing them. Sounds like the high end on the bass is interefering a bit.

Good stuff ;)

Listened to Magic Carpet Ride....

Tough tune to cover for sure but I think you did a great job.

Vocals especially true to the original.

Cool bass riffs......nice mix overall....

Thanks for the encouraging words ido1957 and SnakeDog5050. I appreciate you guys checking the songs out and also the feedback.

Back