magazines

I too get Recording and TapeOp.

TapeOp is the only magazine i read cover to cover in one sitting, and then a second time and then find myself waiting for the next 59 days for the next issue.

Recording was great for the first year or so i subscribed, but after a couple years now, i've come to find it kind of redundant. it's like they're on a 15 month topic cycle or something. it's still better than most of the others i've read.

I've read EQ and Mix and while there was a lot of good info there, they just weren't geared towards me and what i'm doing. most of it was "well, you grab your schoeps MK4V's (or KM84s if you HAVE to use em), plug em into your SSL (or Neve if you HAVE to use it) and whaddya mean you're not getting a good sound?" kind of stuff. not at all useful to the MXL into a Wackie crowd.....but then again, that's not their target audience, either, so why am i bitching? :D

wade

<< Why would you need anything other than Hustler and Penthouse >>

b/c let's face it, some of the women in those rags are skanky and worn out. sometimes you want something, shall we say, a little less haggard? :D

wade

in reply to 2112
Mix is VERY snobbish that way . EQ is very practical, especially now - they just revamped the entire mag. Check it out. They have hands on tutorials for all the "now" software and other cool tips..... while all that time, Mix spends "name dropping". Really, just go buy this months issue-

yeah, i agree....Mix is way out of my league, but EQ for the most part is more geared toward what i am doing......

guido #2 said:
Get EQ, even if you have to pay for it. Much more practical than Mix, who, BTW, Do Not give proffessional courtesy subscriptions. I have written to them. My scipt was in the studios name....nothin'
I agree 100%... I get EQ, MIX, Recording, and Tape Op and IMO Recording and EQ I find consistently the most informative for Home and project studios. Tape Op is good occasionally... and MIX has a lot of shit, but geared more towards hi-end professional studios...

Hey, what happened to Home Recording? Their website has been displaying the December issue for a couple of months....

I like Electronic Musician and Recording. Solid information, even though I can't get 'em free [I told them I was Lord of the Universe, but apparently that's not on their list].

RE: Homerecording mag

Was wondering the same thing here. I think they may have bit the dust. Have not seen a Jan or Feb issue at the news stands; that or the local bookstore is just out.

Middleman said:
RE: Homerecording mag

Was wondering the same thing here. I think they may have bit the dust. Have not seen a Jan or Feb issue at the news stands; that or the local bookstore is just out.
I've received my Jan, Feb and Mar 2004 issues...

I tried emailing Home Recording to ask them about the missing issues, and my email got bounced for no good address...Sonixx, I'd like to know about those issues you got.....

Sonixx is creating spin. They are out of business per their emails and they are planning to refund their subscribers. Just read this at another site.

hey Middleman...

Are we talking about the same magazine? Doesn't sound like it... If not my goof... sorry.

I'm referring to:
RECORDING
The magazine for the recording musician

I have the issues right here:

Jan 2004:
Make the Right Connection
Reviews:
KRK V6
Roland Studio Package
SP C1, C3, T3
Ua TDm package

Feb 2004:
Great ideas on recording Instruments
KORG D16XD and D32XD
11 Reviews:
Arturia Moog Modular V
Emagic EXS24
Yamaha SPX2000

Mar 2004:
Acoustics in Your Stusio
Reviews:
Microtech Gefell M930
Edirol UA-1000

I just asked about this in the Cave

They're referring to 'HOME RECORDING' magazine, not 'RECORDING' magazine.

I guess I've got some money on the way. Woo-freakin'-hoo! :rolleyes:

I liked the 'Past Masters' series, or whatever they called it.

If they've gone belly-up, wouldn't you think they would kind of mention that on their web site? And why do they even still have a web site? Hell, I was gonna buy that DVD of theirs! Well, I guess I can stop staring at the mailbox like Charlie Brown.:(

Yeah its Home Recording..no problem Sonixx, just busting your chops.

The writing was on the wall for this publication, they were all about ads and supplied very little data that contributed to helping home recorders. All the reviews were positive about gear, no perspective really.

They had a few good interviews with fringe type producers and engineers but I really never gleaned anything substantial.

My 2 cents.

Home Recording Magazine was good at basics, but once you got past that they were lacking. I didn't care for the 1-page reviews of expensive gear but several writers there seemed to have a clue or 2. I saved a couple of older issues on acoustics but now I realize that the last Recording Magazine has much more useful information, including how to calculate modes. Electronic Musician periodically runs letters where people say, "Why don't you include more basic information?" but that seems to be the kiss of death. Most of us into recording don't spend much time on the ground floor. The results we get (or don't get) drive the need for information and so much of the basic stuff is now available online [here, for example] that there's not much sense in buying in it the form of dead trees.
Just my opinion.

Still on the ground floor

I guess that's why I liked it. Yeah, I didn't pay much attaention to the reviews, especially Rusty's, but they did have a way of sneaking in the negative comments. If you read between the lines you could generally get an idea of what they really thought. I also really liked the interviews with the pros. Sure, it didn't apply to me, but neither does 99.9% of anything in any of the 'pro' oriented mags. I don't get anything useful from MIX, but I still like to look at the pics of the cool studios and dream. Kind of like Playboy, I guess. I have the same chance in hell of ever getting my hands on anything in either mag, but I can still look. I thought Thad Brown's column was OK, and Arty Skye was pretty entertaining. I guess I'm easy.

And usually when any business closes, they pay a few key people extra to stay around and tidy up the loose ends, and some IT people are usually included. If they really have zero cash to pay someone to change the web site, then I would think they would have zero cash to keep the website up there.

Oh well.

Back