Mackies or Behringers follow up...

maxabillion

Hey Guys a couple of weeks ago I posted a thread about opinions on getting either Mackie MR5 's or Behringer 1030A 's. Well it turned out to be a cluster fuck of advice and brand loyalty issues, and after reading it and many many other reviews on the internet - I went with the Behringers (put down your pitchforks and let me explain). I found more positive reviews (and more reviews overall) for the behringers online, and despite most people on here saying "go for mackie" most had not heard the behringers and didn't have mackies themselves, so I had to take opinions with a grains of salt.

Anyway, I just thought that I would let you know that I am very happy with the behringers. They are incredibly clear, balanced, and not fatiguing at all (I've listened to them for 8-10 hours a day, everyday for a week or two now). They get plenty loud to listen to music for pleasure, but retain their clarity as well at high levels. They are also heavy, built solid, look nice, and generally seem to be quality. So I gotta say that despite the name written on the front of them - they are actually very good for the price. So show a little love. Thanks for all your help with my choice though!

Like I said at your other post. I have the 2031's and at 4 years of use, they still sound great. With any monitor you will have to learn their characteristics.

I misssed the Behri v. Mackie thread.... damn. Interesting read.

I've had the Behringers for, I dunno... about 7 or 8 years now I guess. Still work fine. People often reference Supercreep as saying he uses the Behris... Both he and I were finalists in both the first two HR song contests and no-one made the comment to either of us that "your mix sucks - you must use Behringer monitors" (assuming he used them, of course...).

They'll be fine. A good starting point. More important is learning them, getting them happening correctly in your room, and cross-checking on outside systems. It's the witch, not the wand....

I have a relatively high end stereo system in the lounge... if the mix sounds bad on that, then back I go to the mix. Same with the car stereo. And the iPod... and whatever else I can get my hands on...

Enjoy...

I don't know whether Super uses them now but he has in the past and thought they were cool.
Ha ha, Behringer, it's like having Hitler, Bin Laden or Manson as a surname. Guilt by association whether you've heard of them or not !

I'm glad you're happy with your purchase and I'm glad that you are having good luck with yours. I have never been happy with them for recording. Many of the clubs use them for live sound and for that they're fine. I have a small one that I use for tiny clubs with two acoustic musicians through a small bass amp, and it's fine for that. I notice far too much cross chatter on the channels and they can get far noisier than most other mixing boards. Maybe you got a good one.

cross chatter? what's that? I just googled it, and I'm assuming you're not talking about the band on facebook

...or David Cross, which was the #2 hit???

Back