Mackie SDR vs HDR

Andrew_Shot

Im looking to upgrade my recording system. I have the chance to buy either a new Mackie SDR for a couple grand (canadian) or a used HDR from the local studio fo 3000 (including analog cards and i think an extra harddrive).

Personally im leaning towards the SDR because of the ability to choose Digital or analog individually for each input. I was just wondering if anyone had any insight on the differences in the converters or anything else.

Thanks
Andrew

OK, here's some differences:

1) the SDR is discontinued, while the HDR is not (yet)

2) the HDR offers a lot more than just recording, including waveform editing, etc.

3) the original HDR was limited to a 32 gigabyte max for hard disks it could use -- but Mackie has come out with a kit that upgrades it.

4) Most folks seem to like the HDR sound a bit better than the SDR - but its close

In general, the SDR is a cheaper unit -- but seems to work just fine.

-lee-

Well i was aware of most of that, thanks tho.

I was more looking for some first hand info on the difference in the sound of the converters.

I think I'm gonna go for the HDR tho, seems that $3000 CDN is an amazing deal, especially including cards, snakes and an extra hd.

I have the SDR, and I'm happy with it. I don't have an HDR to directly compare the converters, but the ones in the SDR sound fine to me. I've heard the HDR's are better, for what it's worth.

If the difference is only $1000 cdn, just go for the HDR. The other small advantages of the SDR (no 120 gig HD limit, varispeed recording, built-in optical inputs/outputs) don't make up for the editing functions of the HDR. The extra hard drive and the snakes chip away another solid $300 or so of the price difference, too.

Back