Mackie Onyx Blackjack vs. Focusrife Saffire usb 6

lockesilver

Hi,

Has anyone had any experiences with these two devices? I am going to upgrade my voice over equipment and have narrowed my choice of preamps/interfaces to these two. I am currently using a Rode NT1-A (which is kind of bright) and I think I will get a EV RE-20 (dynamic) soon.

I can't find any decent shootout and both the Mackie and the Focusrife get lots of "absolutely-best-at-the-price-point" reviews. (I don't really believe it, since the same type of reviews led me to buy the Behringer MIC200 I'm using now and it's really not that great).

I can't tell you anything about either device, but I can tell you you're going about this in the right way. You can't trust audio magazines that depend on ads from equipment manufacturers to give their honest opinion on crap gear... They'll find something nice to say about the gear, even if it's the nice sturdy knobs... Look around for actual user input... there's some bias there too, (mines bigger), but you've more of a chance of getting to the truth...

@MOFO Pro
Yeah, I hear you on that. Another thing I noticed is that cheap gear often receives more positive reviews than the top-notch gear. To think of it, it's easy to see the reasons: the ones who buy cheap equipment are (mostly) less experienced users who are unable to see its flaws. Also, the lower-shelf devices are sometimes more forgiving as to the human factor (e.g. bad voice acting) which contributes to the hype.

ANYWAY

I guess nobody had experience with the two interfaces. Just for the record, I have just noticed that one of them has 40db max gain and the other one 60db. As I'm planning to switch to a dynamic microphone, I will need quite a lot of gain (preferably around 80db to be safe). So... now I think I will try to save some more money for a Golden Age Pr-37 or a Focusrife ISA One.

Yes... try to avoid feeding from the bottom... I assure you that you'll be a lot happier with either one of those... but neither one has a converter or digital output so you'll need some sort of interface additionally.

@MOFO Pro
Yeah, I hear you on that. Another thing I noticed is that cheap gear often receives more positive reviews than the top-notch gear. To think of it, it's easy to see the reasons: the ones who buy cheap equipment are (mostly) less experienced users who are unable to see its flaws. Also, the lower-shelf devices are sometimes more forgiving as to the human factor (e.g. bad voice acting) which contributes to the hype.

ANYWAY

I guess nobody had experience with the two interfaces. Just for the record, I have just noticed that one of them has 40db max gain and the other one 60db. As I'm planning to switch to a dynamic microphone, I will need quite a lot of gain (preferably around 80db to be safe). So... now I think I will try to save some more money for a Golden Age Pr-37 or a Focusrife ISA One.

exactly

Back