Mackie Onyx 1220 vs Behringer 1404

hemmick reef

I would like to know if I would hear a great deal of difference between these two mixers in a small home studio?

The Onyx at around £300 is roughly 3 times the price of the Behringer (£100).

I would use it for tracking, but also as a mixer by sending tracks out from my DAW to use the EQ before recording back into Cubase.

Thanks for any help:)

The difference is like comparing a Porsche to a Yugo. The Porsche is the Mackie of course. Mackie has way better pre-amps, way better eq and way better everything. Well worth the extra money

I dunno about the Behri, but you can send ONLY a stereo mix OUT from your DAW with the Onyx mixers (although you can stream up to 12 channels in). Additionally, the recording outs (both d-sub outputs, and the Firewire adapter sends) are pre EQ on the board, so you don't really get to use them while tracking.

I have an Onyx 1220 (actually, I am upgrading to the 1620) and I would recommend it anyway, despite the above shortcomings. The pres get alot of praise, and they sound good to me... It works great as a recording interface, its got lots of monitoring and routing capabilities that can be useful when tracking.

Why do you want to send out tracks out from your DAW? I can't imagine the EQ on the Behri board being in the same ballpark as a decent software EQ. Don't have too much Behri stuff, most of it seems kinda cheap.

Back