Mackie Onyx 1200F?

KamikazeKyle

Sound Junkie
Does anyone have any experience with the Mackie Onyx 1200F pre amps? If so I would like to know if they are chainlinkable with each other?

KamikazeKyle said:
Does anyone have any experience with the Mackie Onyx 1200F pre amps? If so I would like to know if they are chainlinkable with each other?

Yes, you can chain them together via the Firewire ports on the back it says it on the specs at Mackie's website. http://www.mackie.com/products/1200f/splash.html

I'm reading reviews about the 1200F right now.
This looks like the route I'm going to go. I just want to know if the unit will work with Cubase or any other software. I'm not so sure I weantto go with Traction, although it might be alright - I've seen a few people say it's fairly decent software.

Tim

I use "Mackie Traction 2.1" and it is my Favorite software for recording...It seems like it is mainly set up for Recording Live instruments as opposed to Midi but it still can do midi and has all the Features to go with it....

It is extremely easy to use...Arming Tracks is as simple as simply Dragging an Input and Dropping it on a Track and clicking Record (R).....

I tried a Lot of the other Popular recording Programs first but found you couldn"t just jump in and start recording untill you learned a bit about the Program first were with Traction I didn"t even have to learn how to use the Software as it is so simple to use....I comes with some really nice Plugins and Filters also and is compatible with most Third party VTS and DX Plugins and for $150 it is cheaper than most good recording programs.....

Cheers

NOt really related to the chain linkability... but I just got the 800R and if it is any indication, you will like the 1200R. Great sounding units.

I would warn of Mackie's poor customer support. They don't seem to care anymore if their products do not work right. They just advertise more!

Dont buy it it's junk.

I say that because i just bought a MOTU 828MkII and something better always comes out when I do that.

I just trying to justify my purchase to myself dont take any notice of me :mad:

move along .... nothing to see here ;)

I would warn of Mackie's poor customer support. They don't seem to care anymore if their products do not work right. They just advertise more!

i dunno...i saw a lot of people on the mackie forums having driver issues with the 400f when they came out, and it seemed that they were all being replaced without a lot of BS involved

Is the driver support issue generally related to macs, PCs, or both? Because I bought a MacBook for recording, and if there aren't many compatibility issues related to Macs, then I think the 1200F looks like it's more fully loaded than anything else I would want to buy.
The other things on my list were the MOTU 896 HD, which I've heard wonderful things about, and the Firepod, which people say is a great value. But if the 1200F has better pres and converters than either of those two, plus major expansion capabilities, I might have to go that route.
I heard the onyx pres were hyped, but is there a general consensus now on where they sit?

1200 is just the big brother to the 400F. Both have the same excellent Onyx preamps, as does the 800R (I have one of these).

I don't really think you can go wrong with ANY of the new Mackie Onyx gear. It's a huge step up from stuff like MOTU and Presonus Firepods.

All the talk about problems is just that. Every manufacturer has issues. Most of the Mackie issues are a little bogus though. The "firewire whine" is noise inherent to ANY firewire device. Some units have issues, some don't. From what I have read on their board though, Mackie has been fairly helpful and they have replaced or repaired a number of units. So to say their support is poor is not really accurate.

FWIW I have no stake in Mackie other than owning an 800R in one of my mobile racks and being a former happy owner of a 400f (wish I hadn't sold it!)

Take it as you will, but I think the 1200 is a pretty cool box.

Dirk

Neito said:
I heard the onyx pres were hyped, but is there a general consensus now on where they sit?
I think they are great pres personally. Certainly an upgrade from most mixers and as good if not better than many stand alone solid state units... very British sounding IMO. I personally prefer the Onyx pres to my buddy's Summit FWIW.

Onyx 1200F Replacement knobs! Help!

I just acquired a used Mackie Onyx 1200F that is missing two knobs. A channel gain knob and a headphone volume knob. The Headphone knob is different because the pin it fits on is recessed into the unit.

Mackie's parts did not have this and I called every authorized Mackie service center in or near Southeastern Connecticut. I cannot find these knobs aaaanywhere and need your help!!! Does anyone know of where these might be found?!?!? I am desperate. Other knobs that might fit these would be perfectly fine too! Please help, I have attached images. channel.jpg

Attachments

• heapdphones.jpg
    heapdphones.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 26
Back