Mackie mixing consoles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry Wetzel

Hi. Who out there owns a Mackie mixing desk/console and has needed customer support? i have attepted several times to ask for info or answers to problems that I have encountered with my MACKIE 24/8 board but have recieved no response. Please don't misconstrue what i am saying here. Mackie makes great, quality for the money boards and they are very user friendly. I have owned mine for 3 years now and i've done a ton of recording with it but i'm starting to get static in some of the channel pots and switches. They probably need cleaning and I need to know if this is something that i can do or do i need to send it to a Mackie service center? It's a good size board and i'm sure would cost a bundle to crate and ship plus i can't afford to be without it for long. any advice?

OK, just a few thoughts. First of all welcome to the forum. Secondly, I have a Mackie 1604 VLZ Pro and love it. I bought it used off junkbay and some of the gain pots get a little noisy when turned. I have called Mackie on hookup questions and each time I've been helped to more then my satisfaction. Third, I've been turned on to a product by guys on this forum that use DeoxIT D5. I have some old DBX noise reduction units that were noisy when switched in and out. I bought the DeoxIT from www.sweetwater.com for about 13+ for a 5 oz can. I used it on all my DBX's and the diffrence is literally night and day. Their is absolutely no pops, scratches, or static of any kind. I have not had the time to dive into the mixer yet. In short, I would buy the can of DeoxIT and open the mixer and clean all parts. It's easy to use and it really works. Be careful to get the right can because they have a few different products that perform different functions. Good luck.
Here is the direct site page.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.php?s=DeoxIT

Third, I've been turned on to a product by guys on this forum that use DeoxIT D5. I have some old DBX noise reduction units that were noisy when switched in and out. I bought the DeoxIT from www.sweetwater.com for about 13+ for a 5 oz can. I used it on all my DBX's and the diffrence is literally night and day. Their is absolutely no pops, scratches, or static of any kind. I have not had the time to dive into the mixer yet. In short, I would buy the can of DeoxIT and open the mixer and clean all parts.

+1 to this. I personally own a 24/8 and love the thing. I got mine for $300 off a buddy whose studio it sat in, so it was practically brand new :) It did have some scratchy pots and trim knobs and what not, and I've found one solution aside from the DeoxIT which is fantastic stuff. Mute your channel, make sure all your auxes and monitor sends are all the way down (basically, just make sure that there is no possible way that sound can exit the board). Keep your channel muted, but while having a signal come through the channel WITH IT STILL MUTED, twist whichever knob it is that is scratchy. When I find my gain pots like this, just give them a good twist around (yes, it'll clip) and then you'll be good to go for the time being. May not be the most ideal way to "fix" the problem, but it works. But cracking it open yourself and using the cleaner is easy and very helpful as well. Good luck with that.

i've had to contact mackie customer support a couple of times in the last few years, and was always taken care of in a very prompt and professional manner

maybe even mackie don't wanna fuck with the 24.8 anymore??

Hi. Who out there owns a Mackie mixing desk/console and has needed customer support? i have attepted several times to ask for info or answers to problems that I have encountered with my MACKIE 24/8 board but have recieved no response. Please don't misconstrue what i am saying here. Mackie makes great, quality for the money boards and they are very user friendly. I have owned mine for 3 years now and i've done a ton of recording with it but i'm starting to get static in some of the channel pots and switches. They probably need cleaning and I need to know if this is something that i can do or do i need to send it to a Mackie service center? It's a good size board and i'm sure would cost a bundle to crate and ship plus i can't afford to be without it for long. any advice?

Just a curious 2408 guy here- By phone?
Also there is (the only thing Behringer didn't copy)- the Mackie forum?
;)

OK, just a few thoughts. First of all welcome to the forum. Secondly, I have a Mackie 1604 VLZ Pro and love it. I bought it used off junkbay and some of the gain pots get a little noisy when turned. I have called Mackie on hookup questions and each time I've been helped to more then my satisfaction. Third, I've been turned on to a product by guys on this forum that use DeoxIT D5. I have some old DBX noise reduction units that were noisy when switched in and out. I bought the DeoxIT from www.sweetwater.com for about 13+ for a 5 oz can. I used it on all my DBX's and the diffrence is literally night and day. Their is absolutely no pops, scratches, or static of any kind. I have not had the time to dive into the mixer yet. In short, I would buy the can of DeoxIT and open the mixer and clean all parts. It's easy to use and it really works. Be careful to get the right can because they have a few different products that perform different functions. Good luck.
Here is the direct site page.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.php?s=DeoxIT
Hi Dodge,
Great advice, I have had a 32-8 for 16 years. I love it. I have been dealing with Loud Technologies (they own Mackie) now for a couple of years regarding some faders and pots that I am getting ready to replace. Last time I checked parts were available and customer service was good. The job is a bit challenging but I am up for it. I hope to get to it this winter.
VP

been awhile since i worked on one but IIRC... those controlls are sealed... not cleanable...

I took the bottom cover off and cleaned the data or wire cables. Then I cleaned the insert sections. Finally I took off the knobs and sprayed them with the DeoxIT I used on everything else and it again worked amazing. The pots were freed from dirt and junk. With all that done, I know have a clean static free mixer. Give it a try. I don't know if they are sealed or not, but after spraying them they worked very smooth.

Hi Dodge,
Great advice, I have had a 32-8 for 16 years. I love it. I have been dealing with Loud Technologies (they own Mackie) now for a couple of years regarding some faders and pots that I am getting ready to replace. Last time I checked parts were available and customer service was good. The job is a bit challenging but I am up for it. I hope to get to it this winter.
VP

Cool, if you can post pics of the replacement I would enjoy taking a look in case I need to do it with mine.

I had great experiences prior to the take-over / buy out with LOUD. I have tried several times via email and phone to get through to customer support without luck.

That said, my 24.8 and 2 expander units had been pretty reliable until I stopped really using them (mostly ITB and summing mixer now).

Maybe it has been my limited experiences, but since LOUD took over I have had issues.

YMMV

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back