mackie mixers - improvements in pro versions

o-ron

I'm looking into buying a mixer, most likely used as I am on a very tight budget. Overall Mackie has been recommended to me as being the best price/performance, and I have used Mackie's before and enjoyed them.

I am wondering about one thing. I've found many used Mackie mixers which are of the older non "pro" version for sale which fit in my budget and appear to have all the options I need or want. I noticed that Mackie has newer "PRO" versions of these mixers and these are quite a bit more expensive.

My question is, what are the big improvements in the PRO versions? Is it something I'm really going to miss if I get the older version?

(note, usage will be for a low budget home studio setup using multitrack recording software on a laptop)

Thanks!

"i would imagine the soundcard you're planning on using to be your pitfall"

I agree. However, very shortly I will be upgrading to external USB sound device (actually, it's in the mail).

Is it worth the extra $100 to get a 1402vlzPro as opposed to a 1402vlz?

I will be using AKG C1000's and most likely later upgrade with Marshall v67's as well.

I record mainly acoustic, occasionally rock groups - but the sound quality for rock band does not need to meet the quality standards for my acoustic recordings.

Thanks!

Back