Mackie Control Universal . . . should I bite or let it go?

tuco

I'm on the fence about getting a Mackie Control Universal for the home studio. http://www.mackie.com/products/mcu/

This is essentially a MIDI device for controlling your DAW (Audition in my case), so you don't have to fiddle with your mouse as much, or maybe not at all while tracking and mixing down.

What's been your experience?

I see a lot of them on eBay for about a 30%-40% less than retail which suggests that people might be buying them, then dumping them for some reason.

My needs are modest. Usually no more than four tracks, sometimes just two.

Should I bite or let it go?

tuco said:
I'm on the fence about getting a Mackie Control Universal for the home studio. http://www.mackie.com/products/mcu/

This is essentially a MIDI device for controlling your DAW (Audition in my case), so you don't have to fiddle with your mouse as much, or maybe not at all while tracking and mixing down.

What's been your experience?

I see a lot of them on eBay for about a 30%-40% less than retail which suggests that people might be buying them, then dumping them for some reason.

My needs are modest. Usually no more than four tracks, sometimes just two.

Should I bite or let it go?

What are you recording? What is your current setup (mics, pre's, etc)?

I would say if your needs are modest you would be better off throwing some cash towards a better mic, preamp, monitors, room treatment instead. Something that would actually improve the sound of your recordings.

if you dont need a really powerful controller..id go with the behringer BCF2000...i have one and it holds me over nicely....i can arm, pan, adjust levels, and do other stuff without a problem....and i have used it succesfully with Audition, Cubase, and Pro Tools LE...it also has motorized faders which is nice for automation...and its like 10 times cheaper then the mackie..

hope that helps

It's a controller...just a controller...nothing more. It's a killer controller but it won't impart anything in the way of sound. I've got one. LOVE IT but you've got to ask yourself why do you want it and do you need it.

I'm running SONAR 5 Pro and I really enjoy using it both during tracking and mixing. Pretty big step considering it won't change the way anything sounds. It "CAN" change the way you work though. If you're a cellar dweller, working on your own multi-track projects...probably over-kill. If you're recording and mixing for profit, it might clean up your process and streamline the work a bit.

I dig the jog/shuttle wheel, the programmable footswitch controls and being able to diddle the EQ and effects controls without having push the mouse around but it a good buy for you?....That's something you'll have to decide.

Is it a want...or a need?

Peace baby!

The Mackie is great, I baught a Behringer version of it for a bit under $200, best thing i've baught for my studio ever.

-jeffrey

personally, i think a control surface is probably one of the best things you can add that isn't directly related to your signal chain...the first experience i have mixing was on a mackie d8b digital console, and it was soooooooooo much easier to mix having faders and knobs at one's fingers - i personally can't stand having to scroll through a ton of mixer channels and click around to change levels/panning...it's also 42548759 times easier automate mixes with a CS

Back