mackie 32x8 desk

28seven

has any one here ever built a desk for the mackie 32x8 or ever seen plans for it around the web?

Chris

Hello Bruce, I take it you are thinking about building a console if you can't find what your looking for? How much time are you willing to spend:D The reason I ask, is yes, I have plans. Complete plans. For the most flexible, funtionable, and professional console you will find. At least from my perspective, and from what I've seen. You are building a new studio, is that correct. Are you floating a floor in the control room?
This console was designed for a control room with built in cable chases in the floor, as the legs are cable chases themselves, so consequently, the legs die into the floor. No feet. It has MANY MANY accessories, and can be configured for ANY LENGTH, WIDTH DEPTH and HEIGHT.

Here is one section and details out of 50. Every detail and construction instructions are in the final plans. I posted this about 6 months ago, and no one seemed interested. I can't get pics of the front, mine is up against the wall in my little home studio. At one time, it was in a control room that didn't get finished because of EMINANT DOMAIN. Do a search here for the complete description.

When built as designed, it is absolutely stunning. These pics DO NO JUSTICE. There are TONS of features that you cannot tell from this. If your interested in the real stuff, let me know, and I will get more pics to you. The plans will come on a disc, which either you load into a computer with AUTOCAD, or take it to a local graphics house, who will plot it into 6 "E" size sheets. These are for various sub-assemblys also, of which you can take to various type shops. Metal, wood, plex, apolstery,,etc.

Mine was designed originally for (2) Tascam M-312B's, although I have currently have a Studiomaster 20/8/2 and a Tascam TM-D1000. I am currently in the process of adding and modifying mine for a Tascam 3700 and other things. And that is the beauty of this. It can be modified in a million ways, so it will NEVER become obsolete. AND, there is places for TONS of gear. But if your looking for something immedietly and need it right away, this is not for you. This requires time, and money to build. I'll say this though, IF you choose to build this, NO ONE other than me has one. It is unique. Cool. Professionall. And besides, when finished, and in its correct domain, it looks BEAUTIFUL.
Well, enough ramble.:D Ok, I just discovered my wife deleted the best pic from the server so I'll have to take some more tonight.
Here is ONE CRAPPY PIC and the section.
fitz

http://home.rcsis.com/beachchic/Studio2.jpg

http://home.rcsis.com/beachchic/FULLVS.jpg

http://home.rcsis.com/beachchic/DETAIL1.jpg

http://home.rcsis.com/beachchic/DETAIL2.jpg

http://home.rcsis.com/beachchic/1studys.jpg

http://home.rcsis.com/beachchic/8studys.jpg

TASCAM-DM24

Dm24
I need a plan for DM24 connsole armed with two 17"monitor on top. It would be really nice if i can get racks for DA-78HR, DA-40, MD, and Cassette Deck. Nyone made such desk?

luv
charoo

i think the best thing to do in Charoo's case is to take a look at omnirax.com and copy one of their designs...

carpenters must be pretty cheap to get in India, no?

:)

Cheers

Dafydd

you are right!

i am checking the site and trying to get one ........ carpainter is not that expensive affair. Is there any precaution to be taken while selecting plywood and other raw material.

luv
charoo

Ausrock i loved that first desk on there is there any way u can give me the basic template of what u used i am pretty good with carpentry and can figure the rest out my self

Charoo,

Just use reasonable quality timber, etc. Personally, I would use plywood or MDF that is at least 16mm (5/8") thick.

28seven,

Apart from some original concept sketching, this was all in my head, but I'll try and clarify a few things..........

I already had my console, so using some carpenters saw-horses to support it, I experimented on finding a comfortable working height and angle, remembering I had to get my knees under it and be able to easily reach all the knobs, etc.

Cool.......then I thought of rack gear and patchbays.........where can I put them..........solution ........patchbay facility on the RH side with a lift-up hinged panel (OK, I owe Track Rat for that idea:) ) and a 3 unit rack module which also doubles as a shelf for my near fields. ALSO, I wanted to allow for the possibility of future growth (i.e; a Soundcraft Ghost), so the idea of making it totally modular was the only solution. This also allowed me to build in the garage, then carry the various modules over to the studio and assemble there.............believe me, it won't fit through a doorway assembled:D .

There are from memory seven parts (modules), the 4 main ones being;

The 2 END SECTIONS.........16mm MDF which I edge-banded with commercial grade, black banding for protection. I also put aluminium "U channel" along the bottom edges........kind of like fitting it with skates:).

The CONSOLE SUPPORT FRAME...........3"x 2" pine. The End Sections screw to this. This also has a divider panel to seperate the console and patchbay sections.

The FOOT REST..........it's real purpose is to tie the End Sections together at the bottom and add more rigidity/stability, but knowing feet would rest on it, I made it out of a 3"x 2" pine frame covered with plywood. This too is attached to the ends with screws.

In addition, there is the RACK UNIT/SHELF module, the CABLE TRAY module (with all the triangular holes), the ARM REST/NOSE module (covered in black vinyl) and the PATCHBAY module.

What I have found from using this, is that the shelf is a bit too high for proper nearfield placement and that I prefer to have rack gear in cabinets off to the side, so it is likely that in the future I will replace or modify the Rack Unit/Shelf.

There was a photo taken recently, which if I can get it off another H/drive, I will post it later as it shows this mess in all it glory :D

Hope this is of some help.........

:cool:

hey ausrock !

thanx sir for your kind words and advice. i think the height from floor from cosnole desk is must be around 90MM hun? I bought some 19MM plywood and some are 6MM too. After going through lots' of phtographs I found a bit strange the "T" shaped legs of console desk, i havent' get it those here in my city. Pls do my a favor and post those picture so I can locate different part and put my queeries accordingly.

luv
charoo

Oh my GAWD, holy nibnob, I really did that. My apology. Hmmmmmmm....

What a moron I can be. Somehow I got confused! Wouldn't be the first time though.

EXCUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSE me!:eek:

fitz:)

http://www.omnirax.com/Content/lowres/keybcomp/F2 Front 160.jpg

I have looked at some of the desk you can use for a mixer to go on and I feel that most of them mount the monitors too close to the listener.
One studio I work in from time to time has a desk for their Mackie D8b and I find myself riding in and out in my chair to hear what I am mixing, if you have bands who like to hear loud mixes then its not really a good idea using this sort of setup.

ChippyD

But everyone knows that bears ears are towards the top of their heads, face kind of forward and are somewhat furry. That's gotta alter how you hear things:D :D :D

:cool:

"That's gotta alter how you hear things" -

Yeah, it makes it so you can hear questionable comments sooner and be able to get pissed off quicker :=)

Hey, Bruce, what didja do to our Scandinavian friend? And why dyn'tcha let me help?

Later, man... Steve

Back