mackie 1604

Jerome Dragun

Is there any way to mix effects and out-
board eq to incoming signals without using the channel inserts? I tried using the aux
sends and returns and although I could hear
the effects they did not come out on tape.
After looking at the block diagram it doesnt
look possible to use the aux sends and returns for mixing outboard fx with the incom
ing signal?

If you're using the direct outs, no. The aux returns go straight to the main mix(except for #3, which can be switched to the sub outs). The effected signal gets mixed with the un-effected one unless you 1.mute the channel or 2.turn it's fader all the way down or 3. leave the channal un-assigned, so it isn't really a good way to EQ anyway. The inserts are better for that. One way to do what you're asking would be put your FX on aux 3, set the return to subs, and use the sub outs. I know it's confusing as hell, but if you study the block diagram in the manual, it can really help explain things.

Ptron

Thanx for the info,next time I record I will give it a try. They said in the manual it was
a more user friendly manual this time around
but just like any other manual I read its mostly greek to me. Until I got on line last month I have learned everything the hard way
or out of the books, now I can get some help.
The only problem with the inserts is that alot of the time I am recording 5 to 8 tracks
at a time and I don't have enough hardware to
use.

thanx

Back