Mackie 1202 -VLZ As A Pa Mixer?

Jmoog

I played a few songs at a local bar last Saturday night using a friends guitar and P.A. setup. It was his gig and I just took over for a few tunes. The owners liked my playing and are interested in having me play there by myself some nights. The problem is I don't own a P.A. system. I do own a Mackie 1202 -VLZ mixer. My question is could I use that mixer to power a pair of P.A. speakers or would I need an additional amplifier to go between the mixer and the speakers? If that would work I would just need to find a pair of P.A. speakers and I'd be in good shape.

I don't really know anything about P.A.'s as I've never really played live very much. Thanks.

CORRECTION: I own the Basic "Mackie 1202" mixer not the "1202 - VLZ" as I initially thought if that makes a difference. Thanks again.

You can use the Mackie to drive a pair of active PA speakers, or to go to a power amp that drives a pair of passive PA speakers

Yep. That's my setup. I think its a great way to go. The 1202 is different from the VLZ primarily in that it has an older preamp design. There is no change functionally and you will find that as you become familiar with the mixer, you will recognize the same thing happening with other brands of mixers, whether small or big. They all work in similar fashion.

I've run sound for about ten years and the basic rig is a Mackie board running a pair of Mackie powered cabs. The ones I use are SRM450s @ 400 watts each, but there are many versions out there. Over the years I upgraded the mixer and now run a Mackie Onyx 16 channel.

The only other gear I use in the signal path is a pair of graphic EQs and a pair of compressors. One channel of the system runs the mains and the other the monitors. I set the powered cabs up in a daisy chain and run them from the left mains channel which on your mixer will sum everything to a mono signal as long as nothing is plugged into the right mains channel. The monitors are fired with an aux send. Signal path is mic -> mixer -> Graphic EQ (used to sound the room) -> compressor (set as a limiter) -> amp/speakers. The setup and general principle of the thing works extremely well and is versatile as all getout.

If you want a quick primer in running sound with your mixer, go to the Mackie website and root around the customer service area. You can download pdf copies of all their manuals, which contain excellent diagrams and fast start roadmaps for setting stuff up.

Another excellent source for good basic information is (I kid you not) the Behringer website. Download almost any of their manuals and you will find not only information specific to the product, but also a very well presented, short explanation of the theory behind how and why a product is used. They do a fantastic job with their manuals, even though we love to pick on their products.

Last edited:
Back