Macbook pro and firewire

puffin

I've recently been considering upgrading to protools 8 le with the digi 003 factory and would most likely like a macbook pro to go with it.

Ideally, I'd like to get the 13" model and use an external f/w drive to record the audio on. I've been looking at the new range of macbooks and the only one that has the ability to run 2 firewire ports is the 17" model and that's using the expresscard slot. The 17" is bloody expensive, though! The digi003 connects via the firewire port so I'm going to be a port short for the external hard drive.

I was wondering if anyone is using a macbook with a digi003 factory and how they get around this problem. Should I just get the 13" and partition the hard drive or use an external usb drive? Am i going to have to fork out for the 17"? Is this the only way?

Cheers,

Puffin

I could be wrong, but can't you daisy chain the hard drive and the interface? That was the work around for some Mac issues with the RME Fireface800.

I did read that somewhere but I don't think digidesign recommend it. I would imagine that daisy chaining would affect the time it takes to look at the drive.

Anybody know anything about this?

Back