Macbook or Macbook Pro?

livitup said:
For recording..eh? Is it worth the extra cabbage?

Mucho thanks!!!

IMHO, yes, it's worth it. The Macbook's integrated Intel video steals RAM (and thus, RAM bandwidth) from the rest of the system for the display.

Even if it didn't, I'd still recommend the MBP because my experience has been that the pro models handle abuse better. :)

I'd say so. My macbook pro out performs my wife's macbook (same processor in it) Hers is great for most stuff, and no doubt could handle a bit of audio (even garage band is a little sluggish on it..so not much) but my MBP does way more than I thought it could. I run Logic pro 7.2 on it for live performances and it can handle all the backing tracks I need plus a ton of VI's and running the vocals through it with lots of heavily automated effects, without even touching the second core. go with the "pro" . Wow how gay was that slogan.

TerraMortim said:
I'd say so. My macbook pro out performs my wife's macbook (same processor in it) Hers is great for most stuff, and no doubt could handle a bit of audio (even garage band is a little sluggish on it..so not much) but my MBP does way more than I thought it could. I run Logic pro 7.2 on it for live performances and it can handle all the backing tracks I need plus a ton of VI's and running the vocals through it with lots of heavily automated effects, without even touching the second core. go with the "pro" . Wow how gay was that slogan.

just to point out garageband is nowhere near as streamlined as logic and is by no means a pro app
so logic will jsut plain work better regardless

on the other hand i find that the MBP is a better machiene i couldnt be happier with it (bar the price tag, ouch that stung) the ram is important but 2 will do (got the 3 dosnt even get half used but i know it will last longer this way ie not get outta date).

the graphics card is handy as it dosnt suck from processing or ram which as we all know means more effects!

hope you are happy with your choice!

Probably depends. If you don't need to move it around, then I'd suggest getting an Intel iMac, and increase the RAM. That is what I did. I wanted one of the MBPs, but couldn't justify the cost.

I'm doing just fine with my Macbook running Logic Pro 7.2, never having any troubles with the memory, wich I upgraded to 2GB or the processor. I have not as yet ever have the macbook not be able to handle what I wanted it to!! Of course the MBP will be even better (or at least I hope so, considering the cost) but I guess it all depends on what you are planning to do with it!!

Benyah said:
I'm doing just fine with my Macbook running Logic Pro 7.2, never having any troubles with the memory, wich I upgraded to 2GB or the processor. I have not as yet ever have the macbook not be able to handle what I wanted it to!! Of course the MBP will be even better (or at least I hope so, considering the cost) but I guess it all depends on what you are planning to do with it!!

Do you have an external HDD for audio and the audio instruments?

Yes I do, I´m using an IceCube FW 400, 250 GB harddisc plugged into the Motu. I use it mainly for audio because I don´t use too many audio instruments. At times I also use the internal HDD which works fine too!

Thanks all for your replies! I guess I'll eat rice and beans for another week or so, and get the pro. What external HDD would you guys recomend?

Back