Mac users

Elton Bear

Unregistered Abuser
I'm buying a Macbook to run my portable recording setup on this weekend, and currently own a PC.

My computer-savvy guitarist tells me I should wipe the harddrive and run Windows XP, to continue using all the programs I currently have on the IBm system.

Doesn't this defeat the point of having a Mac? Opinions please!

Elton,

Why not buy parallels which will allow you to run both XP and OSX on the same Intel based mac box. I think its around $80. That way you can give it a try and see which you prefer.

I'm buying a Macbook to run my portable recording setup on this weekend, and currently own a PC.

My computer-savvy guitarist tells me I should wipe the harddrive and run Windows XP, to continue using all the programs I currently have on the IBm system.

Doesn't this defeat the point of having a Mac? Opinions please!

Thats what I would say. Why buy a Mac if you are not going to use it as such?!?

Of course your friend is right when he says you won't be able to use all you PC stuff. If that is what you want, buy a PC.

Yep - if you don't want to have to buy software for Mac and have copies for more than one PC of whatever you are using now, buy a PC laptop. The Mac is only going to cost you a decent chunk when you can get something useable out of the PC world for less.

And yes, I do use a Mac, but still firmly believe that you are paying a high premium, even for the quality of hardware you get.

And yes, I do use a Mac, but still firmly believe that you are paying a high premium, even for the quality of hardware you get.

Ah, but you're not paying a premium.

If you price out the same parts as the MacBook or MacBook Pro, you'll have to work hard to shave off even a dollar by buying it from any other vendor, much less a "high premium". Same applies pretty much across the line (with the possible exception of the Mini---I've never tried to spec out something that small).

And for the Mac Pro, you just plain cannot get CPUs certified at the clock speed that the top model uses. They aren't available in retail packaging yet last I looked.

I'm not saying you don't pay a premium for buying a Mac---you could certainly get a lower end PC for less money---but you aren't paying a premium over what an equivalent PC would cost; you're paying a premium for buying high end hardware, not for buying a Mac.

Yep - if you don't want to have to buy software for Mac and have copies for more than one PC of whatever you are using now, buy a PC laptop. The Mac is only going to cost you a decent chunk when you can get something useable out of the PC world for less.

Agreed, I own a 2.16 Macbook Pro and I love the damn thing. I have a pc but I never use it cause I get sick of all the viruses and spyware that cling up. Then all the anti viruses you get still act like viruses and piss you the hell off. At any rate, if you don't want to dish out the cash for the mac software you might not want to buy a mac. Of course, you could always run Bootcamp and run 2 partitions where you can boot into mac or windows. But it defeats the purpose of buying a mac. I use parrallels, only because I like to play Counter Strike Source. That is about the only thing I do in that. Even then, I hate using it. I use the trial version FTW.

I love mac's.. but i'm in you're boat.. I do alot of work in adobe audition and have yet to find a program that I am more efficient in that's available on a mac.. so i'm using a pc.. but because it's pc it's not allowed to go on the internet at all.. I have to treat it like a 10 year old kid haha.. I've tried logic for mac and hated it .. i'm not a huge fan of cubase.. i've never used pro tools yet.. but dammit i wish audition would become mac friendly.. then i'd definately be doing the switch

Back