mac or pc?

teddyastuffed

hey everyone! i looked through the forums and couldnt find an answer that i was content with.

ive been into recording for about a year and a half and have slowly but surely learned more and more about recording over time. i have 2 computers, one laptop and one desktop, and am not sure which one to use for recording, mainly because now that i have some knowledge on recording and after testing various programs, im just simply confused.

heres the two computers:

IBook G4:
1.42GHz PowerPC G4
512K L2 cache @1.42GHz
1024MB memory (DDR333 SDRAM)
14.1-inch TFT Display
1024x768 resolution
ATI Mobility Radeon 9550
32MB DDR video memory
60GB Ultra ATA hard drive (5,400 rpms)
SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Built-in AirPort Extreme
Built-in Bluetooth 2.0+EDR
Scrolling Trackpad
Sudden Motion Sensor

Custom Built Desktop:
AMD 64 Athlon 3200
512 L2 Cache @ 2.0GHz
1024MB Memory (DDR400 SDRAM)
19" Princeton 1918 Display
1280x1024 Resolution
Nvidia GeForce 3 Ti200
128MB DDR Video Memory
74GB Serial ATA Western Digital Raptor Drive (10,000 rpms)
160GB Ultra ATA Western Digital Drive (7,200 rpms)
M-Audio Delta 1010LT Soundcard
TDK DVD+/- Superdrive
LiteOn CD-RW Drive
Floppy Drive
Lots of Cooling Mods and so forth

ok thats probably more info than needed but pretty much i know that my desktop would be the better choice simply because it has better performance and i have everything inside of it that i would need (ie: faster memory, good hd space, fast hd rpms, a useable soundcard, better monitor/resolution, etc.). the desktop is what im currently using with an educational version of cubase sx2.0, but just recently ive tried using logic pro 7 at a local music store and found its usability and extra software to be very nice and user friendly. and when i say nice i mean REALLY nice. i like it much better than cubase.

ok so after that ridiculously long dialouge, my main question is would an ibook that has good enough products (i could install a 7200 rpms hd, i could get a firewire audio interface, etc.) to use with logic pro 7? i dont want to invest all this money if it wont even be able to handle the program. or if anyone could tell me how to install OSX on a pc -_-. im kinda in a bind, so any suggestions or advice would be great. thanks everyone and sorry for the long post lol.

I think you can throw out the idea of putting OSX on a PC. If you're that into Logic though, by all means, go with Logic.

You may want to look into the Mac Mini. Sweetwater has done some testing on them and updated with a Gig of ram, they have got 4 MOTU traveler's running a total of 80 in's.

I don't really know anything about Logic, but check the system requirements and see how close you can get.

www.apple.com

mmmmmmmmmmm its such a big investment, then my delta 1010lt and cubase will have no use at all... and i spent a good $600 on both of those together

i think its just really hard for me to justify switching over to the mac, but i REALLY would love to do that. my love for osx and logic is astounding ! lol someone convince me that i should switch ! -_-

In all honesty, just looking at the spec of your computers, you'll probably get more out of your PC. I love Mac's and am Jonesing for a Quad, but if you start to get into any real processing with lots of plugins, i think your going to find your iBook lacking a bit.

Ive been using Logic since it was developed. German designed, exceptional stability an so on. Can be a huge learning curve because its extensive. Im only leary about laptops. never tried it on a laptop.

Stealthtech said:
Ive been using Logic since it was developed. German designed, exceptional stability an so on. Can be a huge learning curve because its extensive. .

You ain't shittin'.

I'm at least three years into that learning curve and have really only scratched the surface. Being half retarded doesn't help though.

yeah guys, after doing some more consideration ive come to the conclusion that its too much of an investment to do all my recording on a computer that isnt as strong as my pc desktop. i still would love to do it, but if i did i would have to either get a new internal harddrive or get an external harddrive, id need an audio interface for it, i would need to invest in logic pro (or express i guess.. lol) and i would need to completely relearn how to use the new sequencer (and ive gotten pretty used to cubase sx3). so i kinda squashed that wish. if i ever get to doing something like that, i would invest in a powermac and get a nice computer setup with dual monitors and everything. but thanks for the input everyone

Echelon said:
In all honesty, just looking at the spec of your computers, you'll probably get more out of your PC. I love Mac's and am Jonesing for a Quad, but if you start to get into any real processing with lots of plugins, i think your going to find your iBook lacking a bit.

Compare the features and specs. They make it tough to compare apples to apples but give it an honest shot. I suspect you'll find better bang for buck by going PC.

Back