mac or pc

starfox

I was wondering about using a mac or pc. Whitch is better? I currently run sonar producer on a 2.8 gh 512R.
And am using a Tascam us 122 to input audio.
I want a mac but thier really expensive. I was thinking about a mini. A

salesman at Best Buy told me about this and said its how he got his

mac.

http://macminis.freepay.com/Default.aspx?r=21748378

Would this be as fast or faster than what I'm currentlly runnung

I personally like Macs better, they are still the "professional industry standard", Yet a PC will still do the same job. There are alot of PC users in this forum that would object to my macs statement thou. :) Downfall is the Mac is move expensive, but on the upside, theres a slim chance you'll get a virus on the mac. I use a mac for all my audio purposes, but a PC laptop for all my documents and internet use. Either way you go, has its pros and cons.

I dont know a whole lot about the mac mini, But if moneys an issue, you might want to look up some G4s' on ebay, they come pretty cheap now days since the new G5. Or maybe PC is the way to go, money wise.

Specs wise, you'd want atleast 2GHz processor + 512MB (atleast)

If PC is the way your going, look at this thread It'll show you the specs

starfox said:
I was wondering about using a mac or pc. Whitch is better? I currently run sonar producer on a 2.8 gh 512R.

It looks to me like the issue is more than which computer because you have hundreds invested in PC only Sonar. Why would you want to dump Sonar for something that runs on a Mac? I'd save the money and buy a new preamp, that's just my opinion.

Um... I have my doubts you'll actually get your "free" Mac Mini by following that site. Be skeptical. No ones going to give you a $500 machine for less that $500 worth of "special offers."

I have a PowerBook g4 1.25 and a P4 notebook 2ghz- the Mac is tighter feeling and has less problems on average, but performance is similar. Its a little like comparing apples to oranges, but I don't notice a huge difference either way. Chances are you'll like a mac and be really happy with it for a couple months then be right back into the same grind of trying to figure out what will make your recordinds better.

You're 2.8g PC isn't somethig to sneeze at and no budget mac is going to match it for performance. Macs are having trouble matching PC's for performance anyway, unless you go for a PowerMac g5.

My question is why you want to switch? What are you hoping to gain from switching?

If you want a classy machine you'll get it with the mac, but if you want better performance... you probably won't get it without paying for it.

Take care,
Chris

Try a quick search for the mac mini on this forum. I recall a fairly in depth discussion of the pros and cons, including drive speed, number of ports, etc. My best advice would be to stick with the system you know. Unfortunately, troubleshooting is a fact of life when you record on a computer and it really helps to know how to resolve problems or at least where to look.

As far as PC-Mac differences involving sound quality, they basically don't exist. People will continue to argue reliability and there is some consensus that macs cost more depending how you define cost. I think macs look better but, hell, if you're going to surround yourself with lava lamps, drummers, and PODS, what difference does it really make.

Hey this is SPAM :mad: If you want it free just walk in to an Apple dealer and take it just the way you downloaded sonar.

Whats your problem, been ripped off too many times or what! I've been posting on this forum for quite a while, I know the rules.

Back