M2524 Question(s), Part II

Skelly

ha ha fun

Do you think there's a way to change the RCA Direct Outs to 1/4" ?

I ask for there seems to be either a ground loop problem with the computer, or maybe even the snake I'm using is sub-par quality, amongst researching that rca's are quite naughty with induced noise(s).

I have two 8-channel interfaces. When I had my Tascam M-312 hooked up, I had subgroups 1-4, then direct outs filling the available 4, then 4 more channels on the second interface., leaving 4 channels on the i/f open or guest gear. No Problem.

Now with the 2524, I hook up subgroups 1-8 into one interface. All is well. Then I proceed to select 8 direct outs for the second interface. As soon as I connect one d/o to 2nd interface, the audio flips out, computer starts spewing hard drive chatter noise and best of all mouse movements. I've read much about this, all signs point to ground loop. Mind you this never happened with the M-312, the d/o's on the 312 are 1/4". And all electrical connections are identical as if nothing ever changed, just the console itself.

I'm trying to figure out how this is possible, if the subs do nothing to contribute to this nonsense, but the d/o's get all silly. Socket(s) properly grounded, all running to one power point. I even tried an Iso Box to see... That is why I am asking if anyone thinks the d/o rca's can be done away with , and sets of 1/4" jacks put in their place (with minimal chassis/hole mods, of course). Impulsive, yes, but maybe a solution? Has anyone ever experienced this horror?

I've never heard of anything like this. (maybe I lead a sheltered life? :rolleyes: )

Are your 8 ch interfaces and your mouse USB?

I don't know what good changing those RCA's to 1/4" would do? Either way is unbalanced. I remember somewhere hearing about a mod that you can do to make the d/o's balanced, but I have no idea where I saw it. And I think it was cost prohibitive!

I know that my M-2516 is two prong only- it has no ground wire on the plug. Maybe you could look into a "safe" way to connect it to earth?

I have noticed a couple of times getting shocked when I was trying to record electric guitar and touched the mic and the guitar at the same time, just enough to get my attention.

So, anyone know?: Is it possible to ground these mixers? Would you even want to?

Ground loops can occur when the length to ground differs significantly between your various pieces of equipment.

Are you using interconnect cables of similar lengths? If not, try doing that to see if it fixes the issue.

It's also important to employ a star grounding regime with the AC power in your studio where everything is getting it's juice from a single wall outlet in the room that feeds to a power bar or group of power bars that feed off each other to power up all your gear. If you have a lot of gear; from the first bar, plug all your other bars directly into that first one. Do not daisy chain them.

Changing the jacks to 1/4", as mentioned, is a waste of time, money and effort.

Cheers! :)

Back