M/S mastering technique

CIRO

Eu mesmo
Well, I "discovered" (too late, I know...):D, the M/S mastering "trick" (Tom "masteringhouse" page, tks...):cool:

I´m doing some experiences, seems to be definitelly another perspective of mastering.
My question:
when a Mastering Engineer take a project, in what situation he/she uses the M/S?
I´ts more a technique to fix mixing issues (like voice and/or instruments eq/volume ,and maybe changing things that would be not necessary if mix it was well balanced?)
Or even with a very good mix this technique can be used as an improvement?
(I know that "it depends" must be the right answer, but...)

Tks

Ciro

my songs
www.soundclick.com/openstation

Well, I "discovered" (too late, I know...):D, the M/S mastering "trick" (Tom "masteringhouse" page, tks...):cool:

I´m doing some experiences, seems to be definitelly another perspective of mastering.
My question:
when a Mastering Engineer take a project, in what situation he/she uses the M/S?
I´ts more a technique to fix mixing issues (like voice and/or instruments eq/volume ,and maybe changing things that would be not necessary if mix it was well balanced?)
Or even with a very good mix this technique can be used as an improvement?
(I know that "it depends" must be the right answer, but...)

Tks

Ciro

my songs
www.soundclick.com/openstation

It's definitely not something that you want to use by default, but exactly for the reason that you mentioned, to fix mixing issues. It allows you to isolate problems based on position in the stereo field. Since vocals, snare, kicks, and bass are usually in the middle, you can eq or compress them differently to either address a problem with levels or frequency balance. Likewise it can be used to "widen" a mix by using the S component either by raising the amount, or using delay and phase "tricks".

If you have the ability to fix the mix, do it there and not while mastering. You'll have better control.

Back