M-audio

If you've done any reading on this board since joining, you've surely come to some conclusions about m-audio gear, as it has been discussed ad nauseum. IMO, M-Audio generally makes very good recording ware that is aimed at the home recording crowd. Is it used much in professional studios? Probably not. But the price-to-performance ratios of many of their products are tough to beat. There is certainly better stuff out there, but you'll often have to pay dearly for that quality improvement.

Wazn said:
what do you guys think about M-Audio equipment? Worth the money? Professional quality? :rolleyes:
I have two Delta 66's and they are definitely worth the money. Very good cards.

M-Audio typifies "prosumer" gear. They make stuff cheap that has a lot of uses. None of their stuff is top of the line, but a lot of it is usable. Their DMP-3 is the cheapest 2 channel mic preamp in the world that does not suck. They have been building a line of cheap studio monitors for some time that many people, including myself, use and can live with. I use their older SP5B monitors with their SBX subwoofer, and the combination is quite useful. They are known far and wide for building good, cheap, soundcards.-Richie

Richard Monroe said:
M-Audio typifies "prosumer" gear. They make stuff cheap that has a lot of uses. None of their stuff is top of the line, but a lot of it is usable. Their DMP-3 is the cheapest 2 channel mic preamp in the world that does not suck. They have been building a line of cheap studio monitors for some time that many people, including myself, use and can live with. I use their older SP5B monitors with their SBX subwoofer, and the combination is quite useful. They are known far and wide for building good, cheap, soundcards.-Richie

Of course, Peavey's PV8 is the cheapest 4-channel mic preamp in the world that doesn't suck, weighing in at $40 less than the DMP3. Just MHO.

I have a Delta 1010LT that's served me well, was great value for the price, but didn't get along too well with my network card for some reason. It's in a standalone studio comp now with no problems so far. I just hate the phono connectors though, with hindsight shoulda bought the standard 1010 with the 1U jack connector box. Ah well.

I've got an M-Audio Octane... GREAT sounding (clean, with tons of headroom) 8 channel mic pre box IMHO with lots of bells and whistles.

m-audio reminds me a lot of yamaha in the PA world. better than behringer, cheaper than mackie.

its fantastic stuff for the money, but theres definitely better out there if your willing to spend.

Back