M Audio SP 5 monitors

morindae

Musicians friend are presently offering these monitors at $199.
Does anyone have any experience with them? At this price I doubt that they are great, but for a low end hobbyist like myself they may be a good pair to start out with. Any opinions would be really helpful. I am presently using the MR 8 as my recorder.

I took that add to Guitar Center who sells those for $300, and they price matched them at $200. They sound great to me for the money.

whattaguy said:
I took that add to Guitar Center who sells those for $300, and they price matched them at $200. They sound great to me for the money.

I did the same.
I don't have much experience with homerecording but have noticed consistant problems judging my low end, I guess I have to get used to them. The price is good for what you get .

I like mine & I paid $279. One quirk though- With these your bass response depends highly on placement. You want them about 6" off of a wall, about 4 feet apart.

Thanks for your comments. I have come across comments in other posts that are critical of the bass response. However, at this price they seem like a really good deal if you are someone that aspires to only making good quality demos.

I have the sp8bs and wouldn't really want any less bass response. They have very nice imaging and depth and I would imagine the sp5bs do also. Kinda depends on what kind of music you're making. If your hip-hopping or heavy rocking you need the bass. If your just doing quiet acoustic or pop music you could probably get by with it. Either way you have to learn the speakers to translate them anyway. The lack of bass response could be an advantage from a certain standpoint. For 200 bucks - that's pretty tempting. Heck, if you don't have enough bass, get a used sub later.

Back