m audio question

starfox

I just bought a m audio 44 key midi controller and am learning to play keyboard. when I play chords on the lower octives they sound terrible and almost out of key. I know I'm playing them right because I use a chord chart. Any explination on why this is happening. and does anyone know of some GOOD sites to learn to play jazzy funky stuff

If you're using your computers built-in GM sound card the sounds are bad because the manufacturer had a limited amout of memory space to work with and had to make compromises. Like bending a single sample WAY out of it's range.

Almost any sound module, even super-budget models like the Alesis 'Pico-' series will give you much better sounding voices than your internal sound card can.

sorry for multiple posts, I'm using tascam us 122 for sound card sound quality is amazing! Does a 44 key controller skip a whole octive between the existing octives. Piano has 88 keys ive got 44 on keyboard

starfox said:
sorry for multiple posts, I'm using tascam us 122 for sound card sound quality is amazing! Does a 44 key controller skip a whole octive between the existing octives. Piano has 88 keys ive got 44 on keyboard

The 122 is not a sound card and makes no sound of its own. It is just a digital to analog audio converter.

What softsynth are you using?

reason 3, Wait, so my on board sound card is still processing the signal? That sucks! What do people do when they have a laptop and an external convertor. Do they still need to upgrade thier internal sound card.

starfox said:
reason 3, Wait, so my on board sound card is still processing the signal? That sucks! What do people do when they have a laptop and an external convertor. Do they still need to upgrade thier internal sound card.

You're not understanding how all this stuff works.

ALL soundcards are simply D/A converters. Only Sound Blaster type cards had internal hardware synths with a GM soundset built into ROM.

Reason is responsible for creating the sounds you are using - the soundcard is simply converting the 1's and 0's to an audio signal you can hear.

Back