M-Audio Quattro Monitoring?

SemiCrazy

Ok, I am moving into the new century and just purchased a M-Audio Quattro for recording to my computer and will most likely be purchasing Cakewalk Home Studio.

4 tracks and 8 tracks had headphone jacks so monitoring what was going on was easy.

I am looking for the BEST way to monitor live inputs to the Quattro and hear the recorded tracks at the same time.

M-Audios manual for Quattro is very vauge in its instructions and descriptions any I have a few questions

Quattro has four 1/4" output jacks.

Can I monitor my projects by plugging headphones or monitor speakers into one of the outputs?

I know Cakewalk and others will let you choose what you send to what outputs, but will I be able to hear the signal in the phones or speakers or will I need an amp to boost the signal comming from the Quattro outputs?

OR

Can I use the exsisting soundcard in my PC and plug the phones/speakers in to it's output to monitor my projects without using Quattro's outputs.

AND

Because all of this is digital and requires prossessing, How does conneting the monitor phones/speakers affect any delay that may exsist between live signals and monitored/playback signal?

I don't want to play a chord and hear it in the phones after I've played it.

If a delay is present and unavoidable because of the laws of physics, how do you modulate the signal to desquise the delay?

I know, thats a lot of questions, but I'm wanting to learn this stuff the right way and NOT have to correct bad habits or poor technique later on.

Thanks a bunch.

Back