M-Audio ProFire 2626 driver won't install

Makesi

Well, it won't install fully.
Windows 10 with Firewire card with Texas Instruments chip and legacy 1394 driver installed.
It used to work just fine on this system but after I got hit by a virus I can't install the whole driver and console. The driver seems to have been installed because I found its file in Windows\System32\Drivers folder. The device also appears in windows' device manager when the interface is powered. What is not working though is that the console is not visible anywhere. The icon that used to appear in the taskbar is not showing. Also, I can't find the entry in the programs manager. Uninstalling can't be done because of this.
I have been trying for about a week with no good results. I picked another old M-Audio interface (FireWire 410) I had in a box, installed its driver and it works fine.
Where should I concentrate my efforts next?

Well I would say "ask M-Audio" because back in my day with a 2496 and a Fast Track Pro they were very helpful people. Now they are Avid (still?) and fragmented I doubt support will be forthcoming.

You could try a Registry cleaner such as Ccleaner? I know some folks are agin 'em but I have used it for years and never had a problem. Download from 'ninite' and run the reg cleaner several times keeping a backup when asked.

All that said, years ago I took advantage of the free trial of W10 on a W7 desktop. Hated it (still do) but after the 'roll back' to W7 I found it had borked the control panel for my 2496 card and I lost a lot of its functions. Never to return!

Dave.

Well I would say "ask M-Audio" because back in my day with a 2496 and a Fast Track Pro they were very helpful people. Now they are Avid (still?) and fragmented I doubt support will be forthcoming.

You could try a Registry cleaner such as Ccleaner? I know some folks are agin 'em but I have used it for years and never had a problem. Download from 'ninite' and run the reg cleaner several times keeping a backup when asked.

All that said, years ago I took advantage of the free trial of W10 on a W7 desktop. Hated it (still do) but after the 'roll back' to W7 I found it had borked the control panel for my 2496 card and I lost a lot of its functions. Never to return!

Dave.
Hi Dave, thanks for replying.

I already sent a support request just a few minutes after publishing this thread. I also cleaned the registry and looked for profire entries. Funny thing is I could not delete those.
The computer I use also has a windows 7 that I keep for emergencies if anything goes wrong in windows 10. The profire driver and console both work well but I mainly work with Cubase 10 and it cannot be installed in 7.

That 2496... I guess it's the pci fro the audiophile series? The studio has one in the computer used for video editing and we bought it ages ago. It still works like a charm.

Back