M-Audio - Oxygen 8?

Johnbmx26

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone has any examples of what they have done with the Oxygen 8? I'm brand new when it comes to midi controllers, but I wanted to get started. I'm a drummer, but would like to do a side thing.. Nothing to complicated.. just some "ambient" type music that I could play drums over.

The reason I ask for sound clips is because I don't know if 25 keys are enough?

John

Unless you are going to move around a lot or are very pushed for space get something with at least 3 octaves. Even if you want to do the bass and treble ends separately 2 octaves quickly feel limited.

If you are just looking for something to use as a "Scratchpad" for recording only, the Oxygen 8 should be sufficient, but if you want something that is more live performance friendly, at least look at a 49 or 61 key model (or better).

Atterion said:
If you are just looking for something to use as a "Scratchpad" for recording only, the Oxygen 8 should be sufficient, but if you want something that is more live performance friendly, at least look at a 49 or 61 key model (or better).

I probably won't be using it for any live performances.. but I guess I probably should look into a bigger keyboard. The E-Mu XBoard 49 looks good great price too. I was wondering about the M-Audio The Keystation 49e, it's only $100 and I've seen it around at a local computer store, it'd be cool if I didn't have to wait for shipping.. Just don't know if it's good model or not?

I've heard of a lag between the keyboard (or any keyboard really) into the computer. Does this mean I need an interface? I've seen some keyboards that say they're "midi keyboard/audio interface." I was wondering if their were any models like that?

I also have an analog mixer I've been using to record drums with.. Analog Mixer into a mini disc. But lately, I've been wanting to get it into my computer, but the quality wouldn't be that great without the audio interface If I'm not mixtaken? It'd save money if there was some kind of midi keyboard/audio interface but I'm not sure if that's how they work?

John

Yeah you can get one with an interface. A good audio interface with good drivers (i.e. ASIO drivers) will mimize latency. Ask yourself this. Will you use the computer for any recording without the keyboard attached (Because you'll loose your audio interface, and you maight want to consider a seperate audio interface). Having the interface built into the controller, is ideal if you want to use a laptop for live use though.

Atterion said:
Yeah you can get one with an interface. A good audio interface with good drivers (i.e. ASIO drivers) will mimize latency. Ask yourself this. Will you use the computer for any recording without the keyboard attached (Because you'll loose your audio interface, and you maight want to consider a seperate audio interface). Having the interface built into the controller, is ideal if you want to use a laptop for live use though.

Hey,
I will be recording without the keyboard. And I won't be using this live. This is probably a stupid question but.. If the keyboard has an audio interface, could I just use it like a regular audio interface and plug my analog mixer into it, then record through that?

John

I don't post here much but i'll put my 2 cents in. I wouldn't recommend the keystation 49. It lacks knobs that can be very useful in various software programs. I own one and I ended up paying another $100 for a controller with just knobs. I could have just paid $50 more and got a 49 key radium. As for the oxygen 8, i would only buy one if you lack space. Everyone i know who uses one doesn't ever play it. They just play a chord or accouple notes to get a groove going and program from there. I sometimes wish i had the extra space it offers but 25 keys is definately not enough if you actually want to play it. If you play piano, you probably will not be content with the feel of m-audio controllers. I don't play piano but have learned to play a bit with my controller. I think it feels fine since i'm not used to something else. To be honest, the piano at my house feels wierd because i am so used to a different feel. Get something with atleast 49 keys. I feel 49 keys is enough and doesn't take up too much room.

Back