M-Audio Luna for first mic purchase

dudlew

After reading the very little I have found about it, I am thinking of purchasing the M-Audio LUNA mic. It sounds like the mike or me. The description of the sound sounds suited to my voice and of the voice of a friend of mine, with me having a slightly smoother, softer sounding baritone/tenor voice, and he having a richer sharper and more cutting voice in the tenor range. He is the better singer, and sounds the better singer, and bothe of us could use a little fullness in our sound, which is something this mike seems to give.

My spending limit is US$200, so if you disagree with my choice, could you please give me a recommendation in that price range that will not overhype the upper frequencies, but probably just add a little warmth and sit well in a mix?

Just for the record, where I live, the best mic that can be bought locally is the SM58. So a thread saying go to the store and listen has absolutely no relevance to me,as I cannot do that in my situation. I would need to get a VISA, fly to the US, find a store and do a demo like that. If you have US$3000 to help me accomplish all of this, then I would be grateful :D But , if not, your own personal experience would be much appreciated.

D

My friend has a luna and I wasn't keen on the sound at all. I don't know if there was/is something wrong with it but it sounded too bright and was very sensitive. I suggested he take it back and swap for a different one but he wouldn't so I can only comment on the one I used.

I have two Lunas, and I like them a lot. I wouldn't describe them as bright at all. The Nova is pretty bright, but I think the Luna would be a fine choice. The Solaris would be even better, as it has multiple patterns. I've not recorded vocals with the Lunas (acoustic instruments only, which they they do really well IMO), but the Solaris did a nice job on my voice, which is a raspy baritone. YMMV.

Thats the wonderful thing about these threads!!

Two replies, two different opinions. Thanks for the opinions both of you.

I think my mind is just about made up. I am going to end up being the marketing kid for M-Audio. I plan on getting the BX5As and the DMP3. This would be in combination to my audiophile 2496 and my Audio Buddy!!

I hope I get some money for them. Its a pity I cant try any decent condensers for myself. I could wait till I travel, but the creative juices are flowing now and so I cant wait that long.

I have read the reviews, and they seem to favour the LUNA and Solaris wit them being stated as just a little harsh, but not bright by any means. Just wanted to know if your mileage was similar to the reviews or if you totally disagree.

Anywho, any other opinions for and against the LUNA would be greatly appreciated.

D

Back