M-Audio just released 2496 drivers for Vista..!

Well.. I gave up on running vista until support for this card came out, so I'm still running XP as primary OS and probably will for the foreseeable future, so I guess we'll have to wait for someone else to answer that.

So 32 bit drivers won't run on the 64 bit version even with some hacking about? Seems to me 64 bit shouldn't be far behind..

you read it correctly.. still can't believe it myself, been waiting since January...

Wow. Took them long enough! Oh well, after trying Vista and not having support for either my M-Audio 2496 *or* my Presonus Inspire, I went back to XP. Now both drivers are available, but I have everything working well now. :/

So 32 bit drivers won't run on the 64 bit version even with some hacking about? Seems to me 64 bit shouldn't be far behind..
Not just that. The fun with vista64 is that all drivers have to be WHQL-certified, which as I understand it costs a considerable sum of money.

Even people as notable as Roland have something like "Ignore the screen complaining because the drivers aren't signed" as part of the printed installation instructions for their USB audio interfaces (definitely the UA-5, I can't remember about the UA25, and definitely on the UM-2), so I foresee a considerable amount of wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Anyway, that's why I was curious if the XP32 drivers were WHQL-signed.

As I suspected, they completely rewrote the Delta control panel. My favorite feature, the Monitor Mixer, is now gone. I figured they might have to do that in order to meet Vista DRM compliance.

After spending some time with the new control panel, it appears that all the functionality of the old one is still there.

they actualy updated all the drivers for the delta cards as far as I can see.

Just instaled the new ones for ma 3 delta 410 PCI cards and the GUI is completely different. There's no sign of where it used to tell you what your latency times were. :rolleyes:

I like the new panel a lot. You can finally open it up to have a proper mixer so I can see all the channels.

My Vista came with the ability to run programs in XP SP2, why is everybody changing back to XP if Vista has the XP drivers or am I misunderstanding you all?

dac

My Vista came with the ability to run programs in XP SP2, why is everybody changing back to XP if Vista has the XP drivers or am I misunderstanding you all?
Vista has a new driver model which means new drivers have to be written for it. In many cases they have to be completely redesigned from scratch, at tremendous cost, and often losing functionality that was present in XP.

It may be that certain driver classes will still work, but the video and audio driver subsystems have changed on a fundamental level, and none of our industrial PDAs will work with it either, so I suspect the driver for generic serial interfaces tunneling over USB has also been scrapped.

Vista most certainly would not run our software out of the box, at least not without shutting down the security mechanisms, something we're fixing in the next release (I won't say what our product is, since it's for data capture and not audio-related anyway :P)

Basically the problems with Vista are:
1. It changes things, which people don't like
2. It breaks things
3. Limited driver support
4. It is horribly expensive and comes in a confusing array of versions each with different limitations
5. It has a noticeable performance degradation over XP and consumes about a gigabyte when idle (out of a theoretical maximum of 3.5 gigabytes)
6. There is no compelling reason to upgrade at this time

I have the following addition reasons for treating it with extreme suspicion:
1. The activation system is even more aggressive than with XP and the OS will shut down if it is not allowed to talk to Microsoft every six months
2. The DRM system is far more pervasive. I find DRM an appalling idea, but aside from that it vastly increases the complexity of the code and the number of points of failure.

Wow! Too indepth for me, it really sounds like you're on some next level stuff with your pc and thats all good. I notice alot of people having problems with Vista but I have yet to, I actually like it to a certain degree. I must admit that I did like XP after it's bugs were worked out but in my case, it's just a matter of progression. Thanks for the info, I will do more research in it.

dac

Wow! Too indepth for me, it really sounds like you're on some next level stuff with your pc and thats all good. I notice alot of people having problems with Vista but I have yet to, I actually like it to a certain degree. I must admit that I did like XP after it's bugs were worked out but in my case, it's just a matter of progression. Thanks for the info, I will do more research in it.
Well, I am one of those programmer-musicians, so I'm likely to see things in a different way and get a bee in my bonnet over things which other people would ignore or not notice :P

Anyway, this is quite an interesting analysis, although some of it is very technical:
http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.html

Back