M-Audio Firewire 410 and my Zoom PS-02

opdev

I have a PS-02 that I love for capturing ideas.

I just put a laptop in my guitar area and decided to load up Cakewalk guitar tracks 2.0. I really wanted to use a smartcard reader and dump the PS-02 files to my hard drive for storage.

Well of course I started reading about gear and thought I should also get a good laptop interface for "Good Recordings"

After reading about firewire, etc I hit the guitar Center 72 hour sale.

They had the Firewire 410 on sale for $249 and a set of BX5 monitors on sale for $199.

So I got them.

Now I am wondering if I have way too much gear for simple recording tasks.

I recorded a few samples with the firewire card and they sounded great. Then I tried the PS-02. A little tiny more hiss bit not bad.

I would not have bought this stuff until I knew more but the sale really tempted me. Question is, is what I have a little or alot better than I had?

If I record on the PS-02 and then import into cakewalk, how much better is that then recording directly into the firewire interface.

Fell free to move this to the newbie section.

I mostly record acoustic guitar, my vocals (male) and I also use an SM-57 to mic some small guitar amps.

The gear you purchased was a good buy and will serve you well into the future.
Recording straight in to the interface will give you a better quality recording then the transfer.

Back