M-Audio DMP3

Zthom

I've been reading a lot about this preamp on the BBS lately and people seem to be pretty happy with it. I have an Art Pro MPA which I am looking to replace. I was looking at the Presonus Eureka or the Focusrite Trackmaster Pro, but the DMP 3 reviews are making me reconsider. As I understand it, there's a fairly big quality jump from the inexpensive preamps to the pro-sounding equipment.
Any advice? Is the DMP 3 worth having in the equipment arsenal?

I am using one, and it seems pretty good for the money. I've only used one other, less expensive pre, so have no real comparison value, but mine is about a year old, and no problems, and it sounds clean to me.

I've had a DMP3 for a few years and it has been very useful, both as a mic preamp and as a direct box. It doesn't attract attention to itself and has a fair amount of headroom. It's a clear step above entry level mixer preamps (Mackie CFX, DFX etc.) , but probably not in the same league as a Focusrite. Great bang for the buck, particularly as it stays useful when you move your main preamps to a higher grade. The only thing I'd like to see would be an XLR output; it has only a TRS balanced output for each channel. XLRs would be more convenient with the stage snake I use. And there's always the wall wart issue, but that's pretty common anyway.

Love it for affordable clean gain, very nice on acoustic instruments. Not my fav for vocs, prefer something with a bit more flavour.

I have the dmp3, and I owned the Eureka and I'd have to say after the initial love affair with the Eureka I quickly started to hate it to the point that I sold it. Way to harsh sounding, the eq and compressor seemed nearly useless and it just didn't warrant the 500 dollar price tag. The dmp3 is nice but I'm not sure it really any more nice than the Art you're going to sell.

ive heard great stuff about that box too, but i wouldent be so hasty to just throw away or just stop using your old pre. keep it on hand. learn its quirks and how it handles some certain thing different and utilize that. there might be a time later where you wished you had it for something.

Treeline said:
It's a clear step above entry level mixer preamps (Mackie CFX, DFX etc.) , but probably not in the same league as a Focusrite.
I assume you mean the ISA and red series Focusrites? I had a platinum focusrite pre for a while and it wasn't any better than the DMP-3 at all. In fact I still have the DMP-3 but I got rid of the Focusrite.

ittam said:
DMP-3 has Burr-Browns I gather?
Matti

Burr Brown INA163.

I don't know that the DMP3 would be a step up though. The Pro MPA is actually supposed to be a pretty decent preamp.

how are you guys racking your dmp3? its hight makes it impossible to put in a universal rack tray. especially if you have something racked above it!

BTW I have the dmp3 (for toms) an art Pro MPA (for snare bottom/room) a rane msb-1 (for snare top) an RNP (for Overheads) and a GR ME-iNV (for kick)
I use the GR for most everything and the RNP for anything stereo. the dmp3 is a nice little pre, but I dont think you're gonna be doin cartwheels when you move out of the Art for a dmp3! its more a step to the side than a step up. the GR is a noticable step up. even the RNP (though I like its more "vintage" sound due to its high headroom and slightly scooped mids) isnt a huge step up from the dmp3 either. The Art is a pretty versitle preamp with some nice features. just dont push the tubes so hard. if your not ever interested in moving up to the 1k level pre's, grab a dmp3 and keep the Art, they'll compliment eachother.

good luck

I just wish the damned thing weren't so ugly. I heard so many good things but I just couldn't get over the way it looked like a 1980's Atari component. It's no wonder people like the Grace 101 though, thats a beautiful piece of kit; my Tampa is pretty nice too.

When I bought my dmp3 I thought that I'd made a mistake and I should have used that money to help purchase a more expensive preamp. Since then I've bought more expensive preamps, but I just can seem to get rid of my DMP3. It's almost like its stuck with super glue to my rack.

countrylac said:
Since then I've bought more expensive preamps, but I just can seem to get rid of my DMP3. It's almost like its stuck with super glue to my rack.

Ah.... So that's how we rack it! :cool: :D

Actually, I use a lot of velcro and my DMP3 is velcroed with two (one of each gender) strips on top and two more bottom. It usually sits on top of something and velcro keeps it from wandering; something sticks and it stays put. Same with the Blue Tube and so forth. Humble but effective.

jonnyc said:
I have the dmp3, and I owned the Eureka and I'd have to say after the initial love affair with the Eureka I quickly started to hate it to the point that I sold it. Way to harsh sounding, the eq and compressor seemed nearly useless and it just didn't warrant the 500 dollar price tag. The dmp3 is nice but I'm not sure it really any more nice than the Art you're going to sell.

Its apparent that someone does not know how to use a good channel strip! :rolleyes: The Eureka is worth more than the asking price, well maybe its because I know how to use it! :rolleyes: and for the DMP3 it well worth the money, I also own one.

Treeline, that was a figure of speech. :D
I never thought about using velcro, but I'll have to try it with some of my other half size rack units. (Simple but effective) Thanks.

Carter said:
Its apparent that someone does not know how to use a good channel strip! :rolleyes: The Eureka is worth more than the asking price, well maybe its because I know how to use it! :rolleyes: and for the DMP3 it well worth the money, I also own one.

I'm pretty sure I've got a grasp on eq'ing and compression. It's just a lackluster preamp. I've found the Joe Meek 3Q to be much much more useful. I've stopped letting the more expensive gear convince me it's better and started using my ears.

Back