M-Audio DMP-3 vs. M-Audio AudioBuddy

kgoedman

Hey...
Next week I'm getting Fishman Natural I installed in my Lakewood. Yes, it has a preamp in it, but not really.
I want to do some basic recording on my laptop and was wondering if anyone had some opinions about either of these two preamps: M-Audio's DMP-3 and M-Audio's Audiobuddy.
Obviously the DMP3 is a little pricier, meaning, I assume, it has more possibilities. But, I really want to record myself with some quality sound without having to deal with an extemely complicated setup.
Any suggestions?

If you're inexperienced, you may find the analog level indicators on the DMP-3 helpful. The DMP-3 also has bass cut filters which can be helpful controlling boom. It is very hard to get good DI sound from an acoustic, and my guess is you'll have better luck using a mic like an SM57 into either preamp. The pickup is likely to be better for stage use into an acoustic amp or pa. The only good sound I've ever gotten from an acoustic going direct is a more complicated system, and a lot more pricey. I use the Fishman Prefix Plus, which has an onboard condenser mic and a pickup, with stereo out, so you can split the signals, I send the 2 signals to the 2 sides of a 2 channel preamp, in this case, a Joemeek twinQcs, and then blend the 2 signals. I can tell you, this setup works very well. With just a piezo transducer, I'm betting there's a microphone in your recording future. If I were you, I'd buy the Audiobuddy and a mic.-Richie

thanks for the help!

i'm inexperienced and realize that with no matter what i get i will be playing with everything for a little while before i get the recording sound i want, but i appreciate the help anyways

Not sure what your question is . . . but from what I gather, the Audio Buddy falls just slightly short in the Phantom Power department. Not sure how much of a difference that's going to make in most real world situations. Also the DMP3 has pads at the input along with lowcut filters . . . and it specs out a little better; frequency response, etc.

The dmp3 will be a slight improvement in some cases, dramatic in others, and sometimes nonexistant, depending on what you're micing and what you're micing it with.

Either one will do the job, and are well-noted for their exceptional price/performance ratio.

Is that what you were looking for?

yes it is what i was looking for...i was basically asking which one was suggested by you guys keeping in mind im a beginner and want some basic recording equiptment...from the responses i have gotten the AudioBuddy seems to be a good fit for me right now

Back