M-Audio BX8s

StevenLindsey

Musicians Friend has these on sale in the back pages of the latest issue for $299. I got my SP8Bs for that and it was a pretty good deal, I think. Nice monitors...for cheap.

Last edited:
interesting

thats a great deal.
i just picked up some RP8's from GC and the guy dropped
em to $175ea/$350pair from $249ea.too.
these were demos....but?hmm

now hearing your low price on BX8's I wonder whats going on?

economy? over inventory? not complaining, just interesting.

GC online goes to Musicians Friends so I'm thinking same company.

A lot of M-Audio prices went down soon after "the takeover" (by Avid). This is probably just a little "market share" measure.

Next thing you know, they'll be trying to corner the market on frozen concentrated orange juice. :eek:

i too saw that $299 price and wondered if it was "for real". then i opened to the monitors page inside that same catalog and saw they were $479.....and that the BX5's were $299. so i figured then i figured i could use their website to settle the dispute and they're $399 there........so hmmmm.....

my local GC has had them for $399 since right after xmas, so maybe that's the "proper" price?

i haven't called to find out.......mainly b/c i've been lusting after the bx8's for a long time (i've got some sp5b's) and if they're really $299 with free shipping, i'll have to bite. even better, i might take the ad to GC so i can have em that day. ;)

cheers,
wade

Avid?

price wars can be good, until they start changing out Opamps and/or making
sht out of plastic instead of metal yadadayadayadayada.

i was in RatShack today, and they had an Onkyo "plastic" amplifiers...sad, very sad. I went and touched and thought Wht the FHK???!!!!???
it's plastic!!! a plastic Onkyo Amplifier!!! et tu brutus??

The SP8Bs were $479 but went to $299 right before they came out with the BX8s. I imagine they're about to roll out a new model. MF will honor the price in their catalogue, or at least I've found that to be true in my experience with them.

I've been pretty satisfied with my SPB8s. Fairly good imaging..clean...good bass response. I imagine the BX8s are a bit better since they have more power.

If you go to the actual model number on their website, the price is $399.

I believe that back page is a misprint.

I've been thinking of getting these too, so I jumped as soon as I saw it. If they DO honor that price, let us know....

lets hope its not a misprint

actually, since I bought a pair for $479, I HOPE it's a misprint!

Interestingly, in the recent Future Music monitor pro shoot-out reviews, the BX8s received much weaker reviews than the BX5s, which were judged highly for accuracy. I've never heard the BX8s and can't comment except to add that I use my own BX5s (with their helpful sub cut-off switch) with a low-cost sub (Wharfedale PowerCube 8) and the sound is excellent. My mixes are transfering very well, now that the low-end is really there. Total cost new: $370.

Worth considering as an option at this low-budget price.

J.

i love my sp5b's. they've got an excellent midrange and highend, which i suppose they NEED to have given the lack of bass. :D they're very nice for mixing acoustic music, but when you start throwing drums and bass into the mix, i've found them to be a little lacking. i'd get a sub, but i'm not a sub kinda guy. i've been looking at the BX8's simply b/c they're larger and will have more oomph in the lows, but i too have heard that they "sound different" than the 5's.....so i'm a tad on the worried side. guess i need to get a pair and return em if i don't like em.

cheers,
wade

do you think the bx8s are better than warfedale 8.2's?? if so is there anything better than bx8s for the price range?

?" woofers

Mikeeley said:
do you think the bx8s are better than warfedale 8.2's?? if so is there anything better than bx8s for the price range?

I'd love to try out the 8.2's and the 6.5". Active or Passive.
i read closely, and Massive Master and Harvey were using the passives,
yellow cones. (hifi ).
if i got it right thats what your talking about 8.2's...i had some Wharfs passives in the virtual cart the other day..$189pair or something.

don't have the BX8's, but recently have been trying some KRKRP8".
my room is small-bedroom type. the 8" were a bit much for me so close.
i've only got 1'6" form the wall and then ~2' from my ears.
i nearly took them back but then wanted to give them a good listen to,
(i have 30days).

To date the 6"woofer works in my room...which still makes me want to try the Yorkies or Wharfs.

I'm starting to believe the 5" with sub guys, it makes sense as the bass port isn't in your face blowing your hair back
like Easy Rider and the 5" concentratae on clarity.

you got to keep em seperated :)

Cool, I've become one of those sub guys you mention. But I understand the bad rap that some folks here have concerning sub set-ups; some that I've heard have indeed sounded bad--mushy and thumpy, which would make mixing a nightmare.

What I learned, though, is this: integrating a sub effectively takes some time, skill, and the right equipment:

* you need monitors/sub that will allow you to direct the upper freqs to the satellites and the lower freqs to the sub.
(The BX5s I use allow me to cut-off the bass the produce at either 80 or 100Hz.) Otherwise, you'll be hearing a lot of overlapping low freqs that can muddy up the sound.

* you need to dial in just enough low end from the sub until the sound is smooth from top to bottom. It's important to resist the tempation to overdo it--the bass should not dominate, but rather fill in those low-end freqs that are missing with smaller speaker set-ups.

* while setting up my own monitoring system, I needed a week of evenings to experiment with freq cut-offs, sub volume, and speaker placement. And some reference CDs and sample mixes to compare on other systems. After some good effort, I eventually found a "sweet spot", where the sound seemed to come together seamlessly. But it took some good time and effort.

Personally, I'll never go back to a non-sub system, but I understand how personal this decision is for people. I also realize that my home studio (Yamaha 16G based) is not up to the standards or needs of many folks at this forum. I do work in pro studios, but only as a session guitarist; at home, I just need a clean, reliable sound for use with colleagues and friends. In this context, the sub set-up has made my mixes much more consistent, and the sound is so much more enjoyable to work with--balanced, punchy, with those extended low freqs that are clear enough to make mixing the bass no longer a guessing game.

Just my experience,

J.

Back