M-AUDIO BX8 vs BX5

Decay

I had finally decided on investing in the M-AUDIO BX5s after reading many positive reviews and remarks on this forum, but then, as I'm about to place my order, I stumble upon a nice deal offering the BX8s for a price within in my budget.

I have read a lot of nice things about the BX5s on this forum. How does the BX8s compare? Are they any good? My main concern with the BX5s were the lack of bass response I had been reading about on the forum.

Thanks in advance

I like the bx5's, I heard the 8's in the store and I thought it was just way too much bass. The stuff I was listening to thru them seemed way off from how I was used to hearing it. So it's totally subjective. You really need to go hear them first. The 8's are also huge compared to the 5's.

I knew what I could adjust to and it w/ the cd I used, I knew it wouldn't work for me to learn the 8's. It took long enough for me to learn the 5's. I'm also very close to them and didn't need any additional power.

I think the BX8's are at least BX3 better than the BX5's... :eek:

Seriously - The BX8's are some pretty cool boxes - Very tunable also. Bitch to break in, though... Ran them for days straight before they started to feel right.

Nice crankability factor also.

Decay, I always keep an eye on M-Audio BX reviews in the many mags I read... Future Music, EM, SOS, etc. I can summarize very generally what I've seen: these monitors sound quite different from each other, so you really should try to hear them.

* Some overlapping points of the agreement I've read during the past year:

* Both models have the same adaptability switches, including HPF settings for use with a sub.

* Both models have slightly aggressive upper-mids/highs.

* The BX5s are quite accurate but lacking in low end. Adding a subwoofer could be helpful for mixing lows.

* The BX8s have more low end but it's rather flabby, and the upper-mids/highs seem especially harsh to some reviewers.

In short, I've learned that the BX8s are not simply bassier versions of the BX5s. They have sometimes gotten very different reviews, even from the same mag. (One example: the recent Future Music monitor shoot-out rated the BX5s higher than the more expensive 8s.)

Try to find these and other reviews and give a listen if at all possible. The decision really is so personal, especially when different studio environments are involved.

Good luck,

J.

(Disclaimer: I'm very satisfied using the BX5s with a cheap sub and haven't actually worked with the BX8s.)

Last edited:
Bought the BX5's.

Result = :)

Added SBX Subwoofer to fatten out the sound.

Result = :D

Connected all it up to an M-Audio Delta 66.

Result = :eek: WOW!

Recommendation:

If you go for the 5's get the Sub as a "must".
If you go for the 8's get the Sub as a "must".

Buy Delta 66 or better soundcard to complete setup.

Hope this helps.... :cool:

I've had my BX8's for quite a while and like them. Must be the blue LED's. It did take some time to learn them. You can really crank them up if need be. Still wish I had a sub to go with them though. My final check is still on a pair of JBL 4311's I've had since 1979 even though they are overdue for a woofer reconing job.

DD

Back