M-audio Audiophile USB users, a little help if you will..tanx!

diogo

hello everyone,

i was recently going for a tascam us122 or an omega by lexicon...but then i realized that M-audio had just what i needed without the built in pres..

i have the DMP3, and when going into something like the tascam 122, i would be doing it for the hability to use it with any software (ill be using samplitude 8), balanced line ins, and cause i like the brand :rolleyes: i dont need its pres..

the lexicon omega would be a step up from these two, but i figure that, in order to use the omega like i would be using the other two (only 2 channels going in, etc), might as well get the cheaper one, wait a few months while making it work for me, and then think about upgrading, to something like firewire or usb 2.0. but for now, 2 inputs is more than enough...

however, i really need to know some stuff about it...for example...

im concerned about the unbalanced ins...will they make a noticable difference in the sound? like "fine" individual tracks, but crappy mix in the end over some white noise or weird humming that wasnt there to begin with?

will i be able to record both channels on my dmp3 at the same time? i assume i can do this, but i really need to be sure...the audiphile channels have a weird left and right "assignment"...will they appear as individual/normal tracks in the software, or something like left in - totally panned left; right in - totally panned right...im afraid i might be in for a little surprise with the L and R input sockets...sure as hell hope not..

im also worried about the conversion..its not old technology, but its almost 3 years old now...im wondering if the tascam wont kill it in terms of conversion...probably not but, someone might have tried both..

will this work with other software aside from the bundled one? i really need to use it with samplitude 8..

what do you guys use the rca ins for? what about the spdif in (spdif mixer?)?

im also wondering about lactency trouble anyone might have experienced...

last thing..sorry if this is a dumb question but, will i get a better signal plugging the DMP3 into the RCA ins (with proper cabling) instead of pluggin it into the unbalanced 1/4"?

ill be using this with a laptop...

many thanks in advance!

Last edited:
bump...

and added doubt...

how do you guys think i can plug the DMP3 (or any other pre with balanced outputs) to this? it only has the 1/4" unbalanced ins....

i really dunno how im going to make this work...

tanx!

Back