M-Audio Audiophile or Delta 66 or 44 or 1010?

Chammy

I am going to upgrade so that I can transfer music from my Rpland VS840 to my computer to distribute on the net or record to CD.I have asked this question but i lost all info.Can I get suggestions again?Thanks yall.

they're pretty much fricken identicle converter wise, except that the 1010 has the converters in the breakout box, and are supposudly better.

Just figure out how many inputs/outputs you need and then buy, no real controversy from within a brand like this.

4in/4out
4in/4out + spdf
8in/8out +spdf +word clock + midi

Word clock aside what do you need? Punk.

Well,the Roland has a light pipe,digital co axial and a bay for a SCSI.I have been using a Creative Labs Ensonique Sound Blaster sound card that has only the 8th inch connectors.So basically there is little head,they say,and my recordings come out really thin sounding if you'll just go to this site and take a wiffin:

mp3.com/maligna

Tell me what you think,if I should get a singer with a different more mannlier voice or what,I get alot of feed back saying we sound like Lincoln Park,which is an insult.

Well anyways,back to the subject here, yes,I have been transfering music to the computer from the Roland 8 trk via an 8th inch stereo split connector from Radio shack.

Well your roland has digital outputs so for perfect transfers all you need is a soundcard with digital inputs.

If you are on a budget and want to transfer 2 tracks at 16/24bit 44/48khz, then a cmedia 8738 based soundcard like an Aopen AW-850 Deluxe or Zoltrix nightingale pro can do the job for about US$20. It is all you need if you just want to transfer your data to the PC and then burn CDs.

But as far as in quality,how do you rate it?I mean everyone thinks I should go with one of the Audiophiles or M-Audio Delta cards.Where can i find one of those Aopens?Did you listen to my demos?Go to it (mp3.com/maligna) if you can and give me feed back.Aslo there you will be able to see where I am coming from when i say sounding thin.But I might just go with your word here.Let me know yes?Thanks.

If you are doing digital transfers then quality is not an issue. The data is not changed at all. That is the whole point of operating digitally - no quality loss through multiple D/A and A/D conversions. If it sounds good on your Roland then your CD should sound the same. The Aopen card will perform just as well as an Audiophile for digital transfers.

If you want to record and mix using the soundcard (and its analog i/o) then you would want a better soundcard (like an audiophile and mia). The Aopen has low quality analog inputs and outputs and no low latency asio drivers etc. However the Aopen card is virtually identical to the now discontinued M-Audio DIO 2448 - they use the same Cmedia cmi-8738 chipset. So you can use M-Audio's drivers if you need Asio (I have tried this successfully though you do lose use of the analog i/o).

I am assuming that you are doing everything on the roland and only transferring the final 2track mix to the computer to burn to CD or compress to mp3. In that situation you only need a basic soundcard that can perform digital transfers (without resampling like soundblasters). You also can continue to use the Roland to monitor the Aopens output by connecting the soundcards digital output to the rolands digital input (assuming it has one).

www.newegg.com has the AW850D (which I understand is identical to the Deluxe model) for $23

Last edited:
Did i hear somewhere that lightpipe could carry 8 completely seperate signals at the same time? I dont know much about the digital transfer stuff- if thats right though- that sound like a good method for your transfers

@%#&@*@*(&!!!!*#((@&*#((!!! WARNING!!DOES NOT COMPUTE!DOES NOT COMPUTE! No,just joking there alfalfa.Well amen,I was like,woe,. ok,well the Roland has an optical and what I've been doing alfalfa is doing the transfers from my Roland by using the RCA outs of the master out and into to the sound cards 8th inch connectors so yes,I am doing the editing in the computer.I will mix though on the Roland first then do final tweaking and editing on the computer.

Someone told me that when using just a regular computer sound card the digital signal degrates whiltz going through just an RCA cable.SO thats what I mean by transfering,yes,I am more like mixing down to 2 track sorta speak but really "Recording each track at a time" to the computer then doing a final mix and editing on the computer.I guess you were thinking I was "Just Transfering" data,ALTHOUGH I think I should just try that but I wouldn't know what program would do that.I have been using N-Track lately and its been going good using it as an editor.

Have you taken a listen to the demos?

using you method, you're not transfering a digital signal- your converting to analog to exit the Roland and the card is converting it back to digital in the computer- if you get a card with digital transfer, you'll prob. be better off-

If you use the digital outputs of your roland (eg the optical ones) then you get no quality loss. You just connect the optical outputs of your roland to the digital inputs of a soundcard like the aopen or audiophile and press record in your software (ntrack). That is all I mean by transferring. Maybe I should have said digital recording.

There is no quality loss because the data is being sent digitally.

If you want to send two tracks (1 stereo or 2 mono) then something like the aopen is adequate. Just connect the optical i/o of the roland to the soundcard. Its just $25. Just buy it and try it.

Last edited:
Well I have bought the card,I have yet to try it,when I have some time that is.But,I cant seem to find out what the bit rate is,like 16 or 24.Do you know?Alfalfa?

Back