m audio audiophile 2496 opinions

happs01

hey all,

I am new here. looking for a sound card to record and mix phono (use yo imagination) to my PC. I have an AMD 1900 with 256mb of RAM. I have seen discussions here about recording directly to the sound card. afraid I can't do that though since I will be using 2 turntables and a mixer. Looking at the Mackie 1642 for mixdown. I know it has RCA "tape" ins to the Main mix but not sure if that is enough. turntables do not have 1/4" TRS outs (I don't think) that are on the 1642 (ins). are there adapters out there for this application? Do I need a setup with a "breakout box"? Will 16 channels be enough?

RE: thread on noisy PCs
Excuse me? put my PC in a closet? Doesn't this cause attenuation due to cable length anyway?

You will need a mixer with phono (RIAA) preamps, or outboard phono preamps. After that, you can run them into anything. If you use a mixer and take a stereo out into your soundcard, then you're limited to mixing in realtime. If you get a multi I/O soundcard you can record each source onto a seperate track and have more mixing power.

No, cable length will not cause problems unless your closet is in another town.

Slackmaster 2000

Back