m-audio and macs

wyastarr

Has anyone used a delta 66 or 1010 on a mac? If so, what were the results?

I've decided to go mac; I'm now debating the relative merits of digi001, MOTU 828, and Delta 66/Omni.

The other question is around the MOTU autodesk software, anybody have experience with it?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

The MOTU 828 is a great set up. Since it is a fire wire I/O box, you should check it out thoroughly because it is relatively new technology. So far as I know it is the only firewire box out there.

The DIGI 001 has many limitations that I would stay away from, but that will depend on your needs. Check out an earlier thread on this BBS titled Digi 001.

Every MOTU I/O box ships with Audio Desk which is a fine program, but I would definitely upgrade to Digital Performer if you need midi. Audio Desk has no midi implementation. It is an audio program only. Digital performer is professional grade audio and midi -- it is truly phenomenal.

Hope this helps
;-

Albert

Another Question

Thanks for the opinion. I was leaning towards the MOTU. Maybe you can answer another question:

The G4s that are so cheap right now have a 20 gig 5400 RPM hardrive. I was planning on adding a second 7200 RPM hardrive for audio data. If I go with the MOTU fireware box, should I opt for an external Firewire drive? The G4 has two firewire ports.

The frustrating thing about the MOTU 828 is that they're not giving out a ton of info yet. They don't have system specs yet. My plan is to get the G4/400mhz/20gig (5400)/64 Ram (I'll also get an additional 128 or 256 of RAM). I want to buy the computer because I'm afraid that model will sell out soon and I won't be able to get the cheap price. But I want it to work with any of the decent mac DAW set-ups.

Anyways, thanks again

P.S. There's also a Firewire box by a company called Crest Audio, but I've never heard them mentioned.

Re: Another Question

wyastarr said:
Thanks for the opinion. I was leaning towards the MOTU. Maybe you can answer another question:

The G4s that are so cheap right now have a 20 gig 5400 RPM hardrive. I was planning on adding a second 7200 RPM hardrive for audio data. If I go with the MOTU fireware box, should I opt for an external Firewire drive? The G4 has two firewire ports.

I opted for a second internal hard drive instead of the firewire hard drive for two reasons: They run at 7200 rpm, which is better for audio and they're much cheaper. I think you should go with a 7200 rpm speed anyway, and I am not sure what the firewire port specs are as far as data seek time, but you need something within the 9 ms seek time, which most internal 7200 rpm drive provide.

wyastarr said:

The frustrating thing about the MOTU 828 is that they're not giving out a ton of info yet. They don't have system specs yet. My plan is to get the G4/400mhz/20gig (5400)/64 Ram (I'll also get an additional 128 or 256 of RAM). I want to buy the computer because I'm afraid that model will sell out soon and I won't be able to get the cheap price. But I want it to work with any of the decent mac DAW set-ups.

I have a motu set up at home. I got the 2408 mkii and Digital Performer. I don't know more about the 828 than what's posted on the MOTU site. Since it is a fire wire box and Macs have been way ahead on fire wire technology, and since MOTU works closely with Apple, you can safely bet it will work on any current G4. That would not be a major concern of mine. My only concern would be whether the bugs have been worked out sufficiently.

There is also an unofficial site for MOTU Mac users. This is their URL: http://www.unicornation.com/

You might want to search their archives on the 828. I subscribe to their list, and there have been several discussions about it which might be informative to you.

wyastarr said:

P.S. There's also a Firewire box by a company called Crest Audio, but I've never heard them mentioned.

I never hear of Crest Audio.

Hope this helps.

Albert

Back