Lynx Aurora 16 vs Echo Audiofire 12

Glitchless

I'm ready to turn in my ADB 8 channel converter and Yamaha DSP Factory 2416 cards and wonder which of these to buy?
The Lynx has great quality and reputation but I've yet to here a note of dissatisfaction with the Echo which is $3000 less in price.
Would a better external clock make any difference to the Echo if it isn't syncing to anything else?

$3000 is a lot of money. I'd go with the Echo and spend that money elsewhere on things that will make a bigger difference in the sound, like players, instruments, mics, pre-amps, fx.

Sure, the Lynx is better, but think diminishing returns and just go with the Echo unless the money is seriously burning a hole in your pocket.

I'm leaning that way

I actually have good pres and a # of good mics, though the lust never ends, but It does seem like the Audiofire is a very nice unit and nothing my clients would ever question as they think things sound fine now.

I have an Aurora 8. Upgraded from an Aardvark Q10.

Is it nice? Yes.

Can I discern a difference? Yes.

Was it an absolutely necessary upgrade? Nope.

It was the last thing on my list of gear to upgrade (and I probably should have done my room before it). I was looking to upgrade, had the money, and decided I only wanted to do it once in the foreseeable future. I've not used or heard an Audiofire, but people say nice things about them. I agree that unless the money is burning a hole, there may be other priorities that will make more of a difference for you.

Back