lx20 and xt20

recorder

i just bought an lx20 and was wondering if i want to expand later on and add another 8 tracks to get 16...would i have to buy an lx20 to sync up or can i buy the xt20 and use the lx as the slave unit. Also, why isn't an elco connection provided on the lx20 and what is the benefits of using this?

I also have a cd burner on my computer but I am also considering purchasing a phillips unit. Which is better and can someone explain how I would connect to either one in order to burn some demos on cd.

Thanks...boy I love this place(forum)!

Any Alesis multi track recorder can sync with any other. You can sync a LX 20 with a TypeI ADAT. You can sync any other product that uses the Alesis proprietary timecode format to ANY ADAT. That is what is cool about ADAT's.

The LX 20 was aimed towards the consumer market per se in recording, thus, only the RCA -10 analog inputs and outputs.
On all ADAT's, the Elco connector is for professional +4 inputs and outputs. This means that when using the Elco, you can interface your ADAT with professional preamps and mixing consoles, and enjoy the benefits of Balanced +4 I/O. This can mean longer cable runs, and a better sound to noise ratio in many cases.

Your second question is not really suited for this forum, so I will not go into it here. Try the Recording Techniques forum with that question. You will find much more help there.

Good luck.

Ed

thanks sonus.. I appreciate all your detailed info.

So, if I do end up getting an xt20- the 8 tracks from that adat would sound better than the ones on my lx20? (that is if i were doing a 16track session)right>?

Depends really....

There is some debate whether -10 or +4 signal levels sound different at all, or if whether one sounds better then the other.

In the case of the ADAT A/D converters, I have found that the -10 inputs don't sound as warm as the +4 inputs.

There is also an issue with sound to noise ratios between the two operating levels. +4 equipment in many cases has a better sound to noise ratio, thus, quieter recordings with better appearent resolution.

The main issue at stake here is the interfacing of operating levels. Normally, the +4 operating level is associated with Professional level equipment, while the -10 operating level is associated with consumer level equipment. In most cases, professional equipment is better sounding then consumer equipment.

Also, some recording gear ONLY outputs at +4 operating levels. Thus, if you were inputting it to a -10 level input, like you would on a ADAT's non-Elco input, you would have a signal that is 14db hotter then the input likes to see. Thus, you will have to turn down the output of the device hooking up to the input of the ADAT to compensate. That usually means worse sound. It also makes it harder to set all the gain stages of the equipment before the ADAT.

+4 operating levels usually also mean a balanced signal. On the ADAT's Elco connector, all the inputs and outputs of the ADAT are balanced. On the -10 RCA connectors (which used to be 1/4" TS connectors. They are getting cheap now...:() they are unbalanced connectors, thus, the cables that are feeding the inputs of these RCA jacks on the ADAT cannot really be more then about 20', and the output cable from the ADAT can only ba about 20'. Going any longer cable lengths then this risks a lot of RFI interference coming through the signal. Also, the -10 signal will not drive long cable lengths, so if your sources or destinations to and from the ADAT are longer then 20', you will not be getting the strong signal anymore.

It is obviously desirable to use +4 operating levels for recording whenever you can.

Good luck.

Ed

ok, i have a mackie 1604 mixer, do you if that outputs +4 or -10? I can understand some of what you said but I am having trouble understanding how I would send my outs to an lx20 and an xt20 to my mackie and then out to a dat or cdr. Would the 8 tracks on my lx20 sound inferior or less warm than the xt20? Or would I just notice more hiss/noise from the lx20.

I am thinking I should of forked out the extra cash for the xt20.

You won't know until you try....

You will need to try out both and see what it sounds like. There is a good possibility that the XT 20 tracks will sound a tad warmer and less noisy.

I believe all the outputs on your Mackie are +4, except for the Tape outputs, the one's with RCA connectors on them. Those I am pretty sure are -10.

Refer to your manual for what operating levels all you in's and outs are. Mackie manuals are very useful, and provide a level of detail many equipment manufactures SHOULD aspire to. You should read through the manual until you know EVERYTHING about that console. That is the first thing I do with any piece of gear I get, even if it is something that I already know how to use, like a compressor. Here and there, you will find little surprises out about your equipment by reading the manual. Sometimes it is good things, sometimes bad thinkgs....:) But don't be shy. Many of us who have been in this game for a while have only had manuals, boring books, and hours upon hours of experimenting to fall back on to learn things about equipment and audio in general. No cool Bulletin Boards....:(

Good luck.

Ed

Ed - you're right about reading the manual, unless of course, you've got a joemeek manual. Then it's a joke eek. I can't believe how bad it is. They don't even describe the function of all the knobs and buttons, they confuse one with the other, their functions aren't made clear, and in one place a sentence ends right in the middle... I emailed them about a few points, and they didn't get back to me. All part of that famous joemeek sound I've decided.

sonus...thanks. I do make it a habit to read my manuals but since i am fairly new to the whole game-some of it is very foreign to me. I am a guitar player that never knew gc had a pro audio dept.(j.k.) but I never really had any pull to that dept.

Now, I find myself just looking at all the gadgets and wondering exactly what they do. I am a very picky sob and I have particular ear for tone(guitar). It seems to me though that the recording end of it is much more spec dependent and very electronically scientific at times. And I my friend am the last person to excel at science or math. I just usually base my purchases on what works and I have exchanged quite abit of gear because I need the real world test to determine.

So, to sum up my little response...I am a newbie. I read my manuals but sometimes need some help to understand all the techie type lingo.also like i mentioned, it's all new and somethings I just don't know. We were all at this place once before so I really appreciate your help, this forum and most of all your experience. That is what makes this forum so cool....learning from all of yours and everybodies experiences.

Back