Low volume on my headphones from the audio interface

Arucard

Hello everyone! I just bought an Motu M2 audio interface, and beyer dynamic dt770 pro 250ohm, the problem is the volume is really low ! Can you help me please ?
I put the volume on max when i was trying the gear , but still , it was too low

Welcome, @Arucard :D I just bought a MOTU M2 myself. Congratulations.

RIght off, I'd say it's the headphones due to the 250 ohm rating - the higher that number, the lower their volume when plugged straight into your interface. These phones are also available in 32 and 80 ohm models - 32 ohm headphones are quite common and will give you the loudest volume in this case.

You can exchange your 250 ohm phones for a 32 or 80 ohm model, or . . . you can keep your 250 ohm phones and buy a headphone amplifier to boost your volume.

Last edited:
I have just played a piece in Samplitude and set the level to average -20dB FS* and with my AKG K92 cans plugged into my M4 I get MORE than enough level with the HP pot at 3 o'clock,i.e. I even have a bit of level in hand. And I am clinically deaf!
Mind you the K92s are unusually sensitive at 113dB SPL for 1 volt rms. I cannot find a sensitivity figure for those Beyers? Most unusually lax for a German company!

I am sure Spantini has the dope though, most AIs will struggle with 250R cans. The Behringer HA400 headphone amp is, despite the name and low cost, $25 ish, very good. I have one.

*Peeps often find headphones are not loud enough when tracking at the usual neg 20 dBFS but this is a matter of "gain" more than power. And something I usually say when folks don't find cans loud enough...BE CAREFUL! Very easy to find you have just spent 2 hours battering your lugs at 90dB+ and that ain't good. Take the cans off from t2t and check levels against speakers and if things seem quiet after a long session you are &^^%$g your hearing matey!

Dave.

. . . Mind you the K92s are unusually sensitive at 113dB SPL for 1 volt rms. I cannot find a sensitivity figure for those Beyers? Most unusually lax for a German company! . . .
They make you dig for it. Here's a spec sheet :

Attachments

• DAT_DT-770-PRO_EN_A2.pdf
    668.5 KB · Views: 3
I'm obliged Mr S but I already found that and nowhere can I find "sensitivity" expressed as "dB SPL for 1V" or the less useful "dB SPL at 1mW.

Maybe we are meant to ASSUME "standard level" means SPL at a volt or mW? To my old technical brain, specifications should be clear, complete and conform to a standard format. Never put up with this sort of sloppy ***t in Studio Sound!

I have since found an unofficial figure of 96dB SPL/mW which is not the most useful spec' since one has to know the output voltage of the sources (AI) and what that voltage will be across a particular headphone impedance and THEN calculate the actual power in the coil!

However, "96dB" is on the low side for most headphones which average around 100dB/V and so at 250 Ohms they are going to be a bit low. BTW, I would not like others to take all this as a criticism of the M2 or M4? As I said, my device gives me plenty of level but admittedly into 32R cans of high sensitivity. I will say the MOTUs give more HP drive than many 'bus powered' AIs. They are for instance much hotter than my otherwise excellent NI KA6.

Dave.

Dave.

Last edited:
Here's some more :

Oh! Well dug out chap! So, they are around the average of 100dB/V. So you have it aright, it is the 250 Ohm impedance that is causing our OP's problem.

I therefore strongly suggest the Behrry amp. 250 Ohm cans are going to be a problem with lots of kit. The HA400 gives you 4 independently controlled outputs. Handy for silent jamming!

Dave.

Ive found the Line 6 UX8 has the best headphone amp in Interfaces of the 10 or more Ive tried.
The Antelope interface is very good headphone amp too and sounds great but at 250ohm might need to be cranked near90%. BD 250ohm is what I have.

Almost all other interfaces greatly benefited with a headphone amp, and the Berry headphone amp rack was great too and handled things well...used was really cheap.

Lower ohm headphones only get louder. Takstar 671 120ohm open back are a cheap set with large vibe.... the other closed backs no problem with Sony7506 or Sen 280.

I had a Grace 901 Headphone amp to compare as a "pro standard" amp.....the sell used from $400- to $800.
The Line 6 UX8 was designed for 250ohm to 600ohm headphones, it was their attempt to compete in the new ProTools world but L6 dropped out.
If you can find a UX8 for $50 or so its worth the headphone amp alone. But the Berhringer Headphone amps are more common, symetrix and rane have a few old ones out too pretty cheap.

Or if you dont want the hassle drop the 250ohm headphones and get something 120ohm or lower...call it a day.

As Dave says, the HA400 works fine with high impedance headphones. So do all the other audio interfaces that I've tried (RME, Focusrite and Zoom) although I've not used the MOTU ones. I usually buy high impedance headphones because I have one or two old bits of gear that need them.

Loud is subjective for sure...

My Antelope can be a "safe loud" at maximum out, with 250ohm and sounds really nice, while the Grace901 and UX8 and Behringer HA. would be ear damage and are 50% volume with 250ohm with plenty of Loud volume to spare.
The weakest Ive had are the USB powered UX2 which is one reason why I bought the Behringer HA, in addition to having extra ports.

I think most users, at least myself, are used to the closed back low impedance sets volume and then get high impedance headphones to "upgrade" and notice the drop in volume...or as the OP says "they have to have the volume max'd out."

HA for $27 is fed by the Headphone Out of interface,?, using the Headphone Output of the MOTU 2 to feed the HA400 with a TRS cable per the youtube. (not the Main Line Out?)
After reading the 1 star reviews and 2 star reviews, bad jacks and hsssing noises....I cant say how good it is in build quality. Like a lot of cheap stuff "if you get one that is built well in the pile....you did ok"
The Behringer HA we bought was a rack mount , old thing but still works great, maybe one channel is bad...I cant recall.

$27 maybe worth a try. on the HA400...hope you get a "good one".

Last edited:
Back