Low Voltage Blown Monitors?

tpresz

So we had a gig this weekend. Our normal sound guy was booked. We decided to bring our own gear and hired a guy to mix. We were short some extension cords. So, in an act of desparation, we bought a six outlet strip. You know, the cheapies with the overloads built into them.
Our first set ended early because the overload on the strip tripped. Not a huge deal. We split up the circuits a little and soon started the next set. Very soon after we started, I noticed a burning smell. Then, smoke billowing from a couple monitors. The monitors were on different power amps but previously plugged into the same strip.

My question(s) is this:
Would a low voltage supply condition affect the output of the power amps enough to destroy the monitors? - my thought here is that too much current throught the small guage wire would create enought voltage drop to starve the power amps.

Or, perhaps resetting the power strips' overload with the amps still on created enough of a transient to weaken the monitors and when we started playing again we just finished them off?

Anybody have a similar experience?

An amp needs abundant, clean power or the distortion spec can get high enough to fry a monitor, especially tweeters. Yes, a transient from resetting the power with full volume could have contributed to the ultimate failure.

Back