Low-sumer Analog Mixer for reel to reel setup?

thereelman77

Bump me if this is in the wrong forum section.

I have an 8 track analog rig/w a 2 track mix down deck.

Just sold the old Soundcraft 16 channel and I am looking to upgrade.

I've been looking at mainly Mackie & Soundcraft, in that order.
Specific models-
MACKIE: 24-8, 2404, 1640i Onyx
SOUNDCRAFT: Spirit Studio 24-8, LX7

My question is, for my low-sumer use, what would you guys recommend?

My rig set up: the first (at minimum) 12 channels are used for input to the tape machine, then bus down to deck.
The last 8 channels are for playback/mixing.
Now since most mixers run the 16, 24, 32 numbers, 24 would be perfick for me.

If their are any "old school" mixers from the 70s, 80s, 90s that would have a good tone, not too colored, but not too crummy sounding, I would be fine with that, but the 2 above are what I've been looking at. Any other brand is not excluded, but I know and have used those two the best.

My money has been between the Mackie's; I have used the VLZ Pro 90s series and then the Soundcraft Spirit:
Mackie's are a bit more colored, harsh, but strong EQ/tone. Soundcraft has a darker tone, more "musical".
After this last Soundcraft, which had some serious issues electronically and tone-wise, I won't mind going back to the Mackie. I like their products and I feel that, in my realm, I can work the overall sound more to my liking than with the Soundcraft.

Thoughts?

The TASCAM M-3500 consoles come up on eBay from time to time, and would certainly be a nice solution....your budget could cover it.

I've been using mine for 22 years and still never had a problem with it (knock on wood). Just as long as you get one that hasn't been abused and allowed to get all cruddy.
There was a really nice one not too long ago....the guy bought it new, like me, and used it in his personal studio....it was in great shape.

Budget is up to $1000.

I forgot to mention I have been looking at the Soundcraft GB series as well (used).

I also own a Tascam M-3500....shame how people doesnt even appreciate professional boards like this one anymore!! I think people listen to people to much instead of listening for themselves...and you need to FEEL the faders (Panasonic sealed) on this board:eatpopcorn:

I can dig it.

Only thing is, yea that guy is local pick up only and that $1000 includes shipping......

I've been looking at Tascam and have been reading so/so reviews and stuff, though I have been attracted to their unique designs.

I know it comes down to your ears....but can't really test one of those bad boys out really.....

Are the M-1600 or 3700 series any better or worse or same? And is the M2524 model line any good?
And, for the sake of my curiosity, are any of the older Tascam M300/500 series mixers any good?
I have heard that they are very colored EQ.

I can dig it.

Only thing is, yea that guy is local pick up only and that $1000 includes shipping......

I've been looking at Tascam and have been reading so/so reviews and stuff, though I have been attracted to their unique designs.

I know it comes down to your ears....but can't really test one of those bad boys out really.....

Are the M-1600 or 3700 series any better or worse or same? And is the M2524 model line any good?
And, for the sake of my curiosity, are any of the older Tascam M300/500 series mixers any good?
I have heard that they are very colored EQ.

Im not as familiar with all the other models that you mentioned, but the M-3700 is just a big brother to the M-3500.They are the most modern and transparent boards (analog) left that Tascamhas ever manufactured in my humble opinion!! And you can find them at great deals because people dont know what they are selling anymore. I payed $7000 for my M-3500 and nowadays you can get them for un-heard of deals....but they do weigh about 130 lbs. and then the power supply is seperate. My M-3500 has 48 channels at mixdown are anytime as far as that goes !! Plenty Aux. sens and tons of returns on small faders on each channel strip,which is typically used for premixing while tracking without messing up your levels(in-line board)and visually great to have so....a small fader and a large longthrow fader for every channel !!! GET YOU ONE :eatpopcorn:

DAMN! 130lbs????

That mixer looks like "the one" but damn!!! I don't think I have anything that could support it?

HA HA.

I'll keep my eyes opened for one....

But can anyone else weigh in on the other models?

Back