low end OK by me

onlyfingers

I must be missing something (or have low standards), but I did find my mics at Radio Shack. I've got a Sony Walkman D6 cassette recorder, and I use Radio Shack Optimus 33-3014 omnidirectional mics. (About $20 each, I think. I balked at buying Sony's own stereo mic, which, if I remember right, ran a couple of hundred dollars.) Mostly I record my own acoustic guitar practice tapes, or record from the speakers of a Yamaha Clavinova piano (ok, ok, I could do better there, but I go with what the piano player and I understand), or record our church worship group in practice. For this kind of casual use, the RS mics seem perfect. Does anyone have any suggestions about whether it is worth getting better mics, considering that I have a simple purpose and and a basic (but I think pretty good) analog recorder.

If you are happy with what you have that is a good thing. If you want to compare your sound with others, go to the MP3 clinic and listen to what others have produced with their gear. If you like something ask questions about the signal chain used or recording techniques, etc.

Back