Low budget music-tech course

Smoulders

Hi guys.

Im setting up what we call over here in the UK a LOCON course, funded by the local government, for kids who have commited crimes to learn some music production skills...

There are already decent enough PC's, and I've bought M-audio keystation controller keyboards and a 'Teaching with Reason' bundle cause I think Reason is the best way to introduce complete beginners to this whole thing.

However, further down the line I want to teach specifics on audio recording and sequencing, which will involve a better sound card than the current built in ones and a decent audio sequencer.

The budget will be low, so I was wondering about the following:

What would be the best low end sound card, maybe with two ins and outs, (1 mono input might suffice, to allow us to record some vocals).

Also, which audio sequencer would you recommend for this. Steinberg have Cubase 4.0 which is 60 quid, but apparently the whole layout is nothing like SX and more like there old way of doing things, which puts me off.

Ideally it needs to be a program that supports rewire for Reason link up and a few plug ins and effects would be nice as the Reason adapted versions we are using have no compressors etc and have a cut down sound library (only 2 subtractor synths can be used for example)

Sorry for the long winded post, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The more I can offer these kids the better. Perhaps you know of a cheap version of cubase other than 4.0 and could let me know what it is like...

Thanks alot

this might be a bit out of your budget, but you can get a presonus firebox firewire interface for £245. it comes with cubase LE, which is a cut-down version of SX that can be upgraded to the full version. you could still use reason adapted with it, and there are any number of free vst instruments and fx to get you started. you could probably get a usb unit with a software bundle cheaper than that, but you will not have to upgrade from the firebox for a long time.

wow....that really does sound great. But like you say, maybe a little bit out of the budget. I think I might be looking at £150 per workstation. But still, maybe I can arrange something as Id be buying 8.

A great suggestion mate, so thanks alot. Maybe I'l aim towards that.

Any more suggestions from anyone else are very welcome.

Thanks again Rigsby

try out the prices on academic versions, usually much less to much, much less, avid an some others have hardware/software academic bundles. all you need is a letter head or sent to a school address.

www.academicsuperstore.com here is one, just google academic software. calkwalk has some good deals i think.

try to get a local group or business to come and see what you are doing and to sponser it. go to local radio and tv for promos. if it looks like you are gettng famous everyone will want to be involved. write and record some songs about historical events in your area, and see if local radio will play them.

DON"T under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES leave anything in an unsecured location....most of the kids are ok, some will take everything you have and sell it for a pittance (Happened to me, while trying to help some 'lesser advantaged' dickwads (i say that in the nicest possible sense of the word 'dickwad').

your heart does you credit, just be very cautious about access to your goodies.

good luck

Thanks alot for the advice.

Most of the stuff in the center is locked down and if I was to go for USB soundcards, they would get locked away too after each session.

Thanks again. I'l keep shopping around.

Back