Low action: pros and cons

SHEPPARDB. said:
Once again,you dont know what you are talking about and you are ill advis-
ing others to follow suit.

What the fuck are you talking about? I've been doing this shit my whole life, and yes, I know what I'm talking about.

More to the point, where did I make any value judgement there? I gave a list of pros and cons, and though it is not comprehensive, it is acurate.

Get your head out of your ass and pay attention to what is happening in the world around you sometime. You'll probably learn something.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

if light was in my town, i'd definately check him out for any guitar work i needed.

i like medium-medium high action. it's much more dynamic and bends/vibrato are a big part of my playing style. i like being able to play notes in a range from barely audible to gutsy and in your face. low action ruins all that for me.

i like my pickups pretty high too. about a 1/6th from the string when fretting the highest notes.

I usually keep my action a little on the high side .. I use heavier guage strings, extra exta heavey picks ...(stone picks once in awhile). In my mind it sounds kind of warm.
The exception to the above is the telecaster where I use very light strings and a medium guage pick because it sounds clear as bell.

SHEPPARDB. said:
Once again,you dont know what you are talking about and you are ill advis-
ing others to follow suit.
SheppardB, I don't know what is going on here, but what Light said is correct.

You failed to provide any additional information on the subject. Do you have anything to offer? :confused:

I guess what I'm saying is, keep the cheap shots in the Cave or in the Mic forum, OK? Thanks! :D

Zaphod B said:
SheppardB, I don't know what is going on here, but what Light said is correct.

You failed to provide any additional information on the subject. Do you have anything to offer? :confused:

He doesn't like that I post anoymously, to which I say tough shit.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

Light, by "post anonymously" do you mean that Light is not your real name (and I assume it is not)?

The vast majority of the people on this board don't use their real names, and neither do I.

my LP has action almost as high as my acoustics, and I use 11s. The ONLY problem I have is sometimes I feel like when i fret, the notes get sharp because it's like bending it just to make up the distance down to the fretboard. But man, the tone is huge, clear and fat!

killthepixel said:
*Fight, puppets, fight! hahaha*

C'mon, would like to hear more opinions about low action guitars.

What more in the way of opinions do you want to hear? The tradeoff with one or the other is pretty obvious. It's entirely up to you and what is most comfortable. There's nothing wrong with low action if you like it.

[OT]
killthepixel said:
... now I'll get some Dunlop Jazz III picks!

Man, I just love those picks... to practice at home at least. Because when actually rehearsing those lil' bastards always tend to slip away and I always end up with bleeding knuckles :-(
But I'm sure with practice one can easily use them when playing live/rehearsing. (one of the guitarists of Slipknot uses them and he must be sweating like hell when playing live too...)
[/OT]

Medium-short/medium action here.

The black ones have grip. Some argue that the read ones have a better tone but, when playing live, to have the pick in your hand is the main goal. Try the blackies.

Zaphod B said:
Light, by "post anonymously" do you mean that Light is not your real name (and I assume it is not)?

The vast majority of the people on this board don't use their real names, and neither do I.

Yeah, but for some reason he feels that I shouldn't be allowed to do so, or at least that my opinions shouldn't get the kind of respect they get.

Don't ask me, I don't understand it any better than you.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

There is one other thing I didn't mention before, which for me is the real reason I, in an ideal world, prefer a slightly higher action; dynamic range. When your action is too low, you can't play as hard without getting buzzing, so your dynamic range is smaller. As a rather dynamic player, this is a real problem for me. If you keep your dynamics pretty consistant, then it isn't an issue.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

Back