Love my sm81's

fiveironguy

Ok so i bought some SM81's for overheads for drums, but now i am using them for everything, vocals, guitars.. you name it. This is an amazing set, never even tough my rode ntk anymore, get some 81's if you can.

musical5 said:
SM81, very under rated. It might just be my "desert island" mic. Thanks for your thoughts.

The SM81 is very well known. Most commercial studios have a least a pair.

It's the KSM141s that are unknown. Since I got a pair I hardly touch my SM81s.

Rick,

Here's a sample of my pair of SM81's as drum overheads. There are some slight phasing issues because I was still learning about mic placement, but the overall sound I think is pretty good. For the whole kit, that is a Beta52 on kick, SM57 on snare, and the two SM81's as overheads, but the snare mic is barely turned up at all. About 90% of what you're hearing from the top of the kit is the SM81's. And yes, I know the guitar tone sucks...but the guy was determined to use his POS Marshall Mini-stack thing...sounded horrible.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=314084

The song is "Demo Track (rough cut)"

EDIT:

BTW, the song "Praise Adonai" is the same kit, same drummer, same room, but with a pair of M-Audio Solaris mics as overheads, and submixed down to stereo before hitting the recording interface.

junplugged said:
for $700 new, glad you like them.

I wonder how much worse the pg81 is

The PG81 seems to be similar (or maybe the same as) the Shure BG 4.0, which Shure dicontinued.
I had a BG 4.0, and upgraded to an SM81. The Sm81 is better, but not by as huge a margin as one might think. Which I think speaks well of the BG, more than ill of the SM81.

The SM94 also looks similar to the PG81.

Back