Loudness War is over, and the good guys won . . .

TimN

So says Bob Katz, and the article in the current SOS magazine (February) by Hugh Robjohns is must-reading. Very good news indeed.

I don't read that stupid magazine or care what dinosaurs like Katz think, but let me guess, this is about that dumb itunes shit?

Well, that's mentioned, but don't worry about it. Katz simply made the declaration at some conference. Again, it's just some dumb shit in a magazine that I saw. That's it!

I wish it were so, but people will continue to master stupidly "Loud" despite an announcement concerning iTunes. Katz is an awesome fellow though.

I doubt it will change overnight but at least people are starting to at least become aware of it, then they wonder why so many 70s records sound so amazing:facepalm:

I doubt it will change overnight but at least people are starting to at least become aware of it, then they wonder why so many 70s records sound so amazing:facepalm:

Yeah, that is true... and people need to stay aware of it too.

"Amazing" is relative. While I find a lot of 70s recordings pleasurable, there is an appreciable lack of low end due to the limitations of vinyl. They are very different from modern, full-bandwidth recordings. Vintage recordings also tend to sound bandpassed to me. If we could get the dynamic range back with the benefits of extended range recordings, I'd be a happy camper.

Cheers :)

"Amazing" is relative. While I find a lot of 70s recordings pleasurable, there is an appreciable lack of low end due to the limitations of vinyl. They are very different from modern, full-bandwidth recordings. Vintage recordings also tend to sound bandpassed to me. If we could get the dynamic range back with the benefits of extended range recordings, I'd be a happy camper.

What are these limitations of vinyl you're speaking of? Does that go with modern vinyl records too?

I think it's a big deal.
Yeah going out with statements like "loudness war is over" is a bit too much too soon- but dont let that fool you in thinking that what Katz or iTunes are aiming for is a lost, irrelevant cause.
the WAR is going on for decades now, and is still being fought hard. we are speaking here as educated and informed mastering and audio engineers. usually the guys pushing for more volume are the artists and their producers, along with AnR guys and record companies.
listening to modern music i think it's fair to say that more volume comes at the expense of quality. even with out comparing to old 70's music. Nirvana's 'Nevermind' sounds amazing!- but in todays standard it's soooooooo quiet! :)

It's up to us, those who care about music, LOVE dynamic range, and understand the science behind it with the pros and cons of volume, to EDUCATE the rest of the music industry, artists and producers first, and use what itunes have done as leverage to actually end the war, and make them understand that louder will not in fact sound better, and will not sell more any longer.

it's a start, but it's a promising start. more and more audio distribution companies are starting to realize this, the general public is starting to wake up, and we mastering engineers have to fight for it.
Maybe in 2020, we'll look back and say - THIS was the moment, from here we started fixing things.
I hope so.

I hope things keep getting louder and louder to the point that all the soapbox blowhard hand wringing motherfuckers trying to force everyone into the same box will just get the fuck over it already.

What are these limitations of vinyl [Mo Facta is] speaking of? Does that go with modern vinyl records too?
Limited and centered low end content, limited high-frequency content, noise floor, limited dynamic range, etc., etc.

The nifty thing about vinyl is that those limitations made "quality" more or less a necessity. You couldn't have recordings with crazy low end phase issues, you couldn't have excessive sibilance, you couldn't crush the recordings --- You had to have enough volume to get a decent signal but too much and you had the needle jumping out, too little and you were buried in noise and hum.

Blah, blah, blah - This was the exciting thing about the advent of digital - Those limitations were essentially removed. If you wanted to do really weird low end stuff (Bjork - The Hunter - for example), you could. If you wanted insane high end (too many to mention), you could. And you could do it with a full 20-20k with an aurally obscene 96dB potential dynamic range with no particular audible noise floor to speak of.

And what'd all the bands and labels do...? Crushed everything. Good going, gents...

I agree with the above. -16bdLUFS is the itunes standard now.... This does not cover all the places audio will receive playback, i.e. PA, clubs etc. Should apple or the creators decide??

the loudness war also reflects the record company's insanity on beating the next guy, at whatever compromise possible despite what the mastering engineer thinks, when I have talked to friends and family about this, even they know things are getting loud. Also re-mastering is a bit of a pet hate of mine, let's just peak normalise it to -0.3dB just because every one else is doing it is a flawed and insane way of thinking. If the sheep jump off the cliff then they would also follow! lol

I think the important thing to keep in mind, has more to do with music sounding good. It does not matter how loud shit is, but then again, if it comes across as weak-there are other issues that have nothing to do with the 'loudness' of the recording.

Is 'loudness' even a real word? Every time I see that word I think of a Japan based band from the 80's/90's. Akira was a great guitar player...

I agree with the above. -16bdLUFS is the itunes standard now.... This does not cover all the places audio will receive playback, i.e. PA, clubs etc. Should apple or the creators decide??

It's hilarious to me that the dementia dynamics dinosaurs applaud a digital streaming site taking control of and dictating audio standards. So hilarious. Too damn funny.

Back