Loudness of biamplified vs non-biamplified monitors

jeffy_2003

I am a bit confused about the actual loudness of biamplified monitors vs non-biamped monitors. For example lets say I have two monitors that are a similar shape like the event 20/20p and the event PS8 (both have 8" woofers and similar cabinet size). The PS8's are biamplified with 70W to the woofer and 30W to the tweeter. The 20/20s are simply 100W per side. Now I know that 70+30=100 but I'm not sure if 70W+30W=100W???!!! The Alesis manual for the M1 Actives claimes that their bi-amped monitors (75W and 25W) will clip at about the same levels as one 200W amp operating into a passive crossover (non-biamped monitor). But I called Sweetwater and the guy told me that the 25W of the tweeter doesn't add a significant amount of sound and the monitors can be considered as loud as a 75W non-biambed monitor. Sorry for the long question. I guess all I want to know is if 75W+25W is louder, the same as, or not as loud as a 100W non-biamped monitor.

Jeff

I think in your case, you're really talking about internal vs. external amps. If I'm correct, let me know and I'll tell you my answer to that question; instead of active vs. passive crossovers, or amped vs. bi-amped vs. tri-amped.

Actually the amps that I am referring to are all internal. So the question rephrased assuming all internal amps: Will monitors that use an active crossover (biamped with 70W+30W) output a higher SPL than monitors that use a passive crossover (non-biamped with 100W)? If higher or lower, how much?

The answer is yes because active crossovers provide higher efficiency. Passive crossovers wastes what it doesn't want after the amplifier.

By the way, bi-ampification provides even more efficiancy.

Just realize that active vs. passive and non bi-amped or tri-amped vs.bi-amped vs. tri-amped are two different things.

Back